Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Looking for parents who want to share their experiences with daycare providers

Looking for parents who want to share their experiences with daycare providers -

Tyana

tyana.grundig@cbc.ca
    Last edited by Tyana; 11-07-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Outgoing
    Why do you always report the bad and never the good? It's reporters like this that put us in a bad light Here's an idea...why not report on something positive for a change!
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Why only the request for poor or bad experiences ~ does that not end up created a jaded and negative piece that does nothing to help families in the search for quality home childcare?

I have worked in the field for over 20 years in both private and not for profit licensed childcare models as well working in both regulated and unregulated home based models and it grinds my gears to see this constant focus on 'regulation' being the be all and end all of the solution for quality childcare.

The fact is there are 'poor experiences' in ANY service industry including all of the above ~ the model is not what equates the quality of care received but rather the motivation and passion of those offering the service to CHOOSE to follow or exceed the rules for best practice regardless of who is 'watching'.

I have seen poor quality care offered in 'regulated settings' where parents sit clueless to what is REALLY going on once they drive way because they blindly assume 'regulated = quality' and do not really 'observe' the program and I know many home childcare providers who work in a 'unregulated' setting who choose to SELF REGULATE above and beyond any 'government regulation' because they are passionate about their role in young children's lives and giving them the best start in life!

I am sure there are MORE people who have an awesome experience in childcare that goes above and beyond any 'minimum standards / regulations' that the governments put forth .... why not seek out them so they could share experiences about those childcare professionals in our communities who are doing GOOD in the world ... why does the media not want to do educational and informative stories on THESE families experiences and perhaps investigate and see what they did differently in their childcare search to find those 'gems' in the industry ... that is likely to help ensure that other families can have a positive experience too!

The Internet is full of horror stories on childcare as well as resources on what NOT to look for childcare settings and providers .... so how about focusing on empowering new parents on what they SHOULD be looking for in a quality early learning with positive experiences that empower them to make an educated choice!

The world is no different than raising children ~ if you want to truly change behavior you need to focus on what you WANT them to be doing verses what you do not want them doing .... if we want to illicit positive change in the world we need to stop making our focus be on the 'negative' of what is WRONG with the world and feeding that negative energy and shift our focus on what is RIGHT in the world and feeding that positive energy instead so that we encourage people to do GOOD instead!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

4. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I don't know if she's coming back to read these posts at all, but we know we are a special breed. Those of us who are successful work so hard and such long days and are so dedicated to our business and the children and families in our care. This does make me very angry. Thankfully, my daycare families adore me and appreciate me and know that my days don't end when they pick up their children because I still have to clean my house and prepare for the next day. And I love it! Because I am a responsible self-employed business owner who follows the laws but better yet, I nurture and care and adore the children and can work with fantastic people when we choose each other to raise these wonderful little babies onto the road to becoming wonderful adults.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Unfortunately, the bad news sells

I, too, have to ask the same question as the other ladies.....why always the negative slant on home daycare? You know, there are scads of home daycare providers out there in the world and I have had the pleasure to "know" hundreds of them. And I can honestly say that 99% of them are good, honest, hard-working people who want only the best for themselves and the children in their care.

Every one dogs the "mommy wars" about daycare verses stay-at-home-moms and if that isn't bad enough, journalists come along and slant daycare in a negative picture and that just precipitates the angst most moms already feel when leaving their child in the care of a stranger so they can go to work and earn a living. WHY do that to someone? I don't understand why a woman would want to do that to another woman.

Why not report on the POSITIVES of home daycare? You know, those daycare providers doing a great job and how the kids in their care flourish and are helped to become good, honest people, just like their caretakers.

Tyana, if you REALLY wanted to report in the best interest of children everywhere, you would report the GOOD and POSITIVE aspects of home daycare. WHY? Because this gets government attention. We are currently in a true daycare crisis and the people picking up the slack for the conundrum the government has gotten us all in to is HOME DAYCARE PROVIDERS. Tell THAT story! There are currently not enough great, quality daycares out there to service all the children who need them. With positive news about home daycare the government would be more apt (through pressure from those who see your news reports) to see home daycare as valuable. And once that happens there might be hope to fix this mess they have created. Home daycare provider numbers could be increased to perhaps take on six children instead of the current five (in Ontario, at least), or allow more home daycare providers to become licensed (if that is what they desire) without having to be affiliated with an agency that takes a cut of their pay. Licensed home daycare means more options for families on subsidy etc.

Report on the good - make a DIFFERENCE. Do it for the children.

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    There are so many excellent points in the posts above. Have any of you considered emailing the reporter directly with your thoughts? She has left her contact information, but we don't know if she is actually checking this site again.

Quote Originally Posted by treeholm View Post
    There are so many excellent points in the posts above. Have any of you considered emailing the reporter directly with your thoughts? She has left her contact information, but we don't know if she is actually checking this site again.
    My guess is that she will be back. There was another CBC journalist on here about three weeks ago PMing members with the same request. I personally had a PM asking me about "illegal daycare" and if I would like to speak on that point to a journalist. Now, I see it is all negative, negative, negative. I am VERY wary of working with any reporter who might twist and turn words to suit the agenda of their piece.

I can just see it now.....it will be a half hour report on how awful and unsafe home daycare is with a small, 30 second snippet that say, "of course, there are great home daycares out there and it is the parent's job to seek them out".

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I'm just wondering if the OP has a pole or question posted about centre run dc's somewhere else?? Why are you focusing on hdc's only? Please be sure to understand each provinces rules and regulations before you write your article and please visit a few aswell to hopefully get the "real" picture of hdc.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to giraffe For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Tyana,

What purpose is your article going to serve? Do you have an agenda behind writing an article about bad child care experiences with home child care providers? I'm just trying to understand why you'd be interested in writing an article that has already been written so many times in the past.

Yes, there are some really terrible providers out there. Yes, there are plenty of parents who have had awful experiences with home child care providers. I'm not going to argue that point with you because I know that bad providers are a reality. That's nothing new. Why would you choose to cover the same ground that so many other writers have already covered when you could do something remarkable instead?

Why not write an article about good providers and positive daycare environments? I think that could really change the way that parents feel about going to work and having their children in daycare. I'm sure that there are parents of children in home daycare environments out there who would be more than happy to share their experiences for an article. It would be a refreshing change to see a positive portrayal of home daycare providers, really. There are just so many negative stories that are reported but I don't think that I have ever seen anything positive be reported. The image of the home daycare provider gets distorted and as a result, sometimes we all get lumped into the same category. Again, I'm not saying that there aren't bad providers out there, I just think that it's important to make sure that it's known that there are remarkable providers, too.

I'd like to challenge you to take a different path with your article! I think that you could do something memorable if you're willing to not take the beaten path. Everyone writes about the negative aspects and all that accomplishes is putting fear into the hearts of parents. What if you could do something to replace some of that fear with a sense of security for families? If you're willing to do something bold like that, I'd be willing to give you an interview and ask the parents of the children that I care for and the parents of children that have aged out of daycare here if they would be willing to give you an interview. We aren't all the same and I think that it's time that the generalizations about home care providers are challenged.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janet For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast