Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Accepting clients who short term

Sorry for all the posts this morning.

I just got contacted by a mother of a 2 year old boy who is looking for care starting in September. She flat out told me she may POSSIBLY (not for sure, but it's a possibility) be moving to Subury in February. What would you do? Would you take her? I've actually been thinking about placing a clause in my agreement, that you agree to 9 months of continuous care because I have had TWO moms who KNEW they were pregnant before starting and only told me a few months in and then kind of screwed me.

Anyways, I know it's not practical, but I would like to do that.

In the case of this woman, she was nice enough to tell me ahead of time and I think I might need her 2 year old to replace another child who may be leaving. What would you do?

Maybe. I would do it if, say, I had a mat leave family coming back around that time.

Euphoric !
    If I had the spot open (or several spots) and wasn't getting a lot of calls I would take her cause that would be income for that spot till February and maybe she doesn't move and the child stays longer that's a bonus. But if I was getting a lot of calls for the spot and fill it with something more permanent then I would go that way. Good luck

apples and bananas
    I'd probably do it. It was nice of her to be up front with you, so many people hide things like that in fear that you won't take them. At least you know and can start advertising for the spot immediatly. I would tell her that you need 3 months notice and maybe take a last month deposit so she doesn't skip out on you? Just a thought.

I took a client in May that was due with baby number 2 in September. She told me right from the beginning that she would be pulling him and keeping him home during her second mat leave. I took them on anyways and had a wait list for September. About a month into care she decided that she didn't want to loose me, so has made arrangments to hold the space, bring him part time and gave me a deposit for baby number 2!

Sometimes it works out.

Starting to feel at home...
    I really love this type of arrangement actually. It is guaranteed income as they are only here for a short period and you can plan your year as you know when you have a space open (you can even advertise right away and fill it, depending on where you live). I also enjoy turn over in children as it gives the group a new dynamic everytime

Outgoing
    That is nice of her to let you know that it is a possibility. If I have no other families lined up then I would offer her the spot. I will at least have the income until February. You never know she my end up not moving and staying with you. And this would also give you enough time to advertise.

I have someone contacted me in February asking temp. Spot for May. I was looking to fill my spot then and told her to contact me again near the time to see if I still have the spot. I filled my spot and she did contacted me in April. By that time, I was looking to increase my ratio to 3 so I offer her the spot. And I found another family to fill their spot when they leave. So it worked out great.

Euphoric !
    I agree that if I had the space and wanted to fill it temporarily while I was able to conduct some relaxed interviews to fill it again when the temp clients left it would be valuable income coming in for a short time. At least she was honest with you and not sneaky like the pregnant Moms.

I agree ~ I would and have taken on clients that I knew were only going to be here a short time because it worked for the program at that moment ~ generally taking on an older child about to head off to school shortly allows my youngest to get that 6-8 months older before taking on a new baby instead.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Starting to feel at home...
    I would, yes. I have taken on temporary care clients in the past and it has worked out well.

I would take her if I had room, but would let her know that like she expects part time care, you also will expect that she would understand because of that, her child will be kept contingent. If a full timer comes along she will be bumped. The way I see it is (as long as its a good kid and good family) you benefit because thats money you wouldnt have otherwise. just make sure you agree that it is temp. for the both of you.