Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Make a list of what you want parents to know

If you had to make like a "top 10 or 15" (or really whatever) list of what you wish parents knew or you wish you could tell them- what would you put on it?

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    Great post !
    Mine would be as follows but not necessarily in this order lol

1) If your child is going to be absent, please notify me in the morning. A little respect goes a long way.

2) If your child not feeling well,fever or no fever please keep them at home. They will be way better or at home in a quiet environment . Asking them to play nice,share,listen to the rules, etc is asking a lot of a child who is not well !

3)I would like my pay on the day stated in my contract, whether or not your child is present the day my paycheck is due. I also have bills to pay .

4) Your child must come to daycare dressed appropriately, we go outside every day ,twice a day . Snow pants are mandatory in the winter as are boots, an extra set of mitts etc. Mitts should be long enough to keep snow from getting in them or inside the jacket,hats should properly cover the ears.

5) If your child has something contagious, please keep them at home ! conjunctivitis,gastr o, rash etc

6) please be quiet when you arrive at my house as my own children may still be sleeping : )

7)It is rude to allow your child to run all over my neighbor's yard /driveway.
    If you in your house /car with your children... they stink ! More than you know ! Other parents complain about the smell and the other kids do as well.

8) please do not send your child to daycare wearing cute little jewelry, fancy gold necklaces, large hoop earrings etc, It is unsafe. The other children usually try to pull off the necklaces and the earrings. Jewelery is also a chocking hazard.

9) We would love to hear a compliment here and there Or to hear how much we are appreciate. ( I always make sure to thank my awesome daycare parents for being so wonderful. They make my job so much easier and more enjoyable )

10) Please make sure your spouse has read the contract and is also familiar with how we operate to avoid any misunderstandings

11) Never , ever medicate your child prior to dropping them off without advising your provider .

Euphoric !
    For me a lot of what I would be wanting to tell parents is aimed at those that will need care but whose kids haven't started yet. For the first 9 months you have your child you marvelled at every first, every new task mastered, you pushed, prodded, coaxed the skills, you practiced with them, gave them time to work on the skill. SO KEEP IT UP......meaning DO NOT spend the last three months of your maternity leave undoing everything you did in the first 9 months. Let your baby continue to grow up, do not hold them so tight as to suffocate their efforts. Yes you will miss your baby when you go back to work but you are going back to work and you need to get your child ready for the new phase of their life too. Stop doing everything for your child that they can do for themselves. It doesn't mean they love you less if they learn to walk away or to go to sleep alone. It doesn't mean they need you less if you let them feed themselves fingerfoods or switch to a cup from a bottle. Let them try, let them fail, let them try again. That is the way the world works. Your child will enter daycare as a confident individual ready to discover the new world of daycare and you the mommy can go to work knowing that your child has the confidence to be fine so that you the mommy can be fine too.

Starting to feel at home...
    I think that you guys covered it all! the only thing that i would add to number 9 (sunflower) is hair acessories. Usually the little bobbles and bows are so small that they are a choking hazard!

Shy
    Wow have you ladies been at my daycare? Those are the same as what I would say. I would also add please take off your boots or shoes at the door. I would NEVER leave my foot wear on when entering someone's home especially when... where do the children play? ON THE FLOOR WHERE YOU JUST STEPPED WITH YOUR DIRTY SHOES OR BOOTS!!!!! Plus close my front door I am not into heating/cooling the outside of my home.
    Love: Mrs. Laurie

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Laurie View Post
    Wow have you ladies been at my daycare? Those are the same as what I would say. I would also add please take off your boots or shoes at the door. I would NEVER leave my foot wear on when entering someone's home especially when... where do the children play? ON THE FLOOR WHERE YOU JUST STEPPED WITH YOUR DIRTY SHOES OR BOOTS!!!!! Plus close my front door I am not into heating/cooling the outside of my home.
    Ha! that is a constant fight here--- but not with day care kids-just with everyone else

Starting to feel at home...
    I would also like parents to please understand that although you want a low child-to-adult ratio, this is my JOB! I don't see you volunteering to give up a fifth of your income. Besides, children in their age group just means that there are friends to play with! It's really boring to be 4 and only have two babies to play with all day

8. The Following User Says Thank You to waterloo day mom For This Useful Post: