Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Biting

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Friends aren't food - isn't that the moral we learn from watching Finding Nemo.
    Very good - I'm gonna use that one!!!! - Not that I have biters....

Euphoric !

I have been doing the same!

I know that mouthing is one of the ways they learn but there is plenty of time to mouth foods and sippy cups to get textures and their own toys all evening. Mine were off limits.

I am glad to hear you say this, because it is something that I have been doing as well. I wasn't sure if it was reasonable, but I really think that you are right. I know that it's totally "normal" for kids around 1 to 1 1/2 to mouth anything they can, but I think it's totally possible to begin teaching that only food goes in our mouth. I have a little boy who I think has a bit of an oral fixation (it's as though he NEEDS to have something in his mouth, not just WANTS to). Other than that, the kids have learned pretty quickly and now I have to sanitize a lot fewer toys during the day!!

Euphoric !
    Thanks for the support. We are definitely in the minority. It is amazing how many parents come for an interview with a child as old as 18 months and think nothing of the child chewing on whatever they find and then just dump it back in the bin. This will be the same family that down the road will be whining because their child is always sick and do I clean enough. I just took advantage of the H1N1 scare - bad I know but it worked.

Expansive...
    ha! love the saying "friends aren't food!" I think I need to steal that one.

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    Wish I could help, my girls didn't bite, and I have only had 1 biter in daycare Oh boy and she liked to bite. She would bite a child every day and I was pulling my hair out. I tried almost every thing I could think of, Mommy was supportive but kept telling me it was a phase and would pass.

It got to the point where only 1 child would play with her, I talked with that child's mom daily about it and she told me they were best friends and didn't want me to separate them, so at least the other parents were supportive too. I didn't terminate because the family was leaving naturally, I know the biting continued between my care, home, and her new childcares (yup more than one) for almost 6 months.

When I had my biter, although I wasn't a newbie in daycare, I had just moved to infant care from exclusively school aged children for almost 4 years, so maybe I was rusty
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com

My older boy used to bite in daycare - this was in a different country but all we got were the 'upset' faces and waging fingers...no help whatsoever to help us, he eventually stopped but I dreaded hearing about it at pick up time! It's not like we're teaching them to bite...my little one still attempts to bite and ONLY when something is grabbed from him, but I make sure I'm right there catching him just about to take a bite 'No biting please!' and he knows, but right now it's a constant reminder...Thankfull y the Mum is super understanding, but I still don't take it lightly!
    There are parents (& caregivers) that are actively trying to help their kids, some kids go through it and some don't, like I said we're not 'teaching' them to bite...I know for me it is hard coz this is my own child, but hopefully my constant reminders and hovering will eventually get him to stop Attempting!

Has your son stopped biting?
    Is there any hope for mine? lol It's my son-22mo, as well that is the biter. He only bites on other child-1yo and seems to be when that child plays with/touches something my son doesn't want him to play with/touch. And its not even something he was playing with himself at the time. I feel horrible because I've only had this other boy for 6 weeks and I really like him and his mom. I don't want her to get pissed off and take him else where.

We also have tried everything to get him to stop. I am doing the shadowing, but he still managed to get a bite in today. Not sure what else to do.
    Cheeky Monkey Daycare

Euphoric !
    I have a litte boy who used to bite, but he is pretty good now (he's just over two). He's is the sweetest, happiest boy and I love having him in my daycare, but if he gets frustrated enough, he will still attempt to bite at times. When he was getting bad with it, I shadowed him and intervened with reminders every time I saw him getting frustrated with another child. Time-outs had zero effect as he didn't seem to get that it was a punishment for biting and anyway, I don't think he had the ability at 18 months to stop and think about the consequences as he lunged in for a bite out of frustration. Shadowing and intervening worked and I also really watch to make sure that he does not get frustrated as his language skills are not that good yet. If I intervene early and talk him through things, he calms right down. I hope you can get your biter under control!