Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Pregnancy and runnung a home daycare

Hello ladies,
    I have been running my home daycare for almost a year now and thungs have been going well.now im planing to gwy pregntant with my second and was wondering how you ladies out there have managed that? Did you take time off everytime you had a doctors appoint ment? Did you get any help towards the end? i have no idea what to do.especially i dont know anyone who I can trust to hirein case I have morning sixkness or qnything.the whole thing makes me worried? Would appreciate your input very much.

Hey! What I've been doing is having my mom come and look after the kids, but try to book the appts during nap time, so she's not doing too much! All my dcparents have now met my mother, and the dckids call her Oma (just like my nephews do!).

Luckily, hubby works about 5 min from home, and is done early in the afternoon from work, so can also come home and watch the kiddos. I know that not everyone can do that! lol Also, hubby is off during the summer - can you guess what he does?! lol So he's at home helping (which is AWESOME!).

Maybe you could hire (volunteer) a high school student to help you out in the afternoons? Or hire someone for a certain amount of hours/day.

Expansive...
    Hi! I did exactly the same as play and learn!!! My mom is retired and loves to come play with the kids so they all knew her already once I started to have frequent appointments while pregnant. I was very lucky with both my girls as they were easy pregnancies.....I worked right until the bitter end, haha! It is so important that you have a firm plan set to tell your parents so they are confident that you are still willing and able to provide great care for their children. If you do not have any body you can count on you could try putting an ad on Kijiji for a supply teacher. I'm not sure where you live but in my region, public school teachers have a hard time finding jobs with the school board and might be available to help you!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderwiper View Post
    If you do not have any body you can count on you could try putting an ad on Kijiji for a supply teacher. I'm not sure where you live but in my region, public school teachers have a hard time finding jobs with the school board and might be available to help you!
    Good idea!

ALTHOUGH....you might loose out on income....the only downside. But the upside would be keeping your clients!

Expansive...
    I too have wondered about this (as I'm a planner, DH thinks its annoying but I like to be prepared as much as possible ahead of time).

I guess it isnt a bad idea to hire someone for the days I have Dr appointments if I can't schedule them at a good time. So that's not "SO" bad 1-2 a month until the last month where it's 1 a week (if all goes smoothly). so 12-15 appointments at a rate of $10/hr....I think that's the 'going rate' for a max of 4hrs is aprox $600 to pay someone. I'd ofcourse have all the parents meet the helper before and agree to this plan

**** This is my "worse case scenario". My parents are selling their house, on the market today! and are moving closer YAY!! because 25min is TOO far with this move parents will be mortgage free and mom would retire...wooo hooo!!! There is my "helper" LOL
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Congratulations on your pending additions to the family!

For those contemplating hiring someone into your home this is an awesome solution for continuity of care ~ just a reminder that you are a 'business' and therefore have different rules than just hiring a babysitter for your 'own children on a Friday night' .... be safe and protect your business and make sure that A) you double check that your insurance ryder for your business covers employees in event of an accident cause that is different than a 'client' getting injured and may have an additional 'premium' as a result so not disclosing this could result in your insurance being voided in an incident and B) make sure that you have a legally binding employment contract that is clear as to who is responsible for collecting income tax, CPP, EI and other employee deductions YOU in which case you will make submissions on the employee behalf or that the wage 'includes' additional monetary amounts for these normal deductions and the employee is responsible for submission themselves because without this if you 'assume' they know to do this and come tax time they decide 'hey I did not get paid enough to cover all these deductions' they can come back after you as the 'employer' with a complaint which can create all sorts of trouble easily avoided with a proper and legal contract
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Shy
    For years my 'business' was home daycare sub. I charged the daycares my rate, and claimed the income as 'self-employed income'. And they got to write off what they paid me on their income tax.

Shy
    Thank you all very much for your replies.unfortunatly i do not have my mother close enough so she could be a help( otherwise it would have been fantastic). I also though of hiring someone but since I dont know anyone well enough to let them into my life,my house and most importantly dont feel comfortable leaving her with children( sorry ladies im a little freak in that sence) Kinda stock.

I will probably send an email to friends and see if they know someone they trust so I can interview them. Its not an easy decision.

Have your selves a great day

Shy
    I had no problems with taking a day off for appointments. My problem came that most of my clients were pregnant when I got pregnant. By the last 4 months I only had 2 clients left and 2 months later I was down to 1. It is really hard to get clients with a huge belly. I only took a bit of time off, but had to start all over again with newbies. It sucked but he was worth it.