Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Dropping off, with food in hand!!!!

I have a child who is dropped off in am with food in hand. This child comes all different times of the day, but almost always comes with her breakfast in hand. (almost always a food I would never provide) In my opinion, unhealthy! Like the stuff you suck from a bag, or processed waffles from the freezer or packaged "quick" breakfasts. I think for me its a mix of just coming in the door in front of other children with food, and a bit bothers me that its foods I dont approve of. (i know there is nothing I can do about what they choose to feed their kid) but i find it kind of rude they drop them off EATING it in front of all the others. Why cant people feed their kids before they bring them? Lazy? Maybe I should tell them if they dont get a chance to eat at home, she is welcome to have breakfast with us. I do provide breakfast every am.

apples and bananas
    I have had that. I simply say to the child at the door. "let's go to your highchair to finish our breakfast" Or if it's really something that I don't approve of I'll let the parent know that because of allergy's in the house I can't have outside food come inside without seeing the ingredients list. I don't care if they eat it in the car, but it stays there. I find it incredibly rude too. It's just parents who don't want to say no to their child and cause an issue in the am. So frustrating!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Do you have a section in your policy book that states no outside food? The next time the child walks in with food say to the parent I'm sorry but I have been having issues with the other children wanting what your child has and it's not something that I serve here so can you please go back out to the car and finish the food or take it with you and your child can eat at our next meal time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    I have 2 parents that drop off with thier child eating breakfast. They say it's because thier kiddo is starving and can't wait until here to eat breakfast. Meanwhile I have breakfast ready and waiting to serve the other children. Neither of them live longer than a 5 minute car ride away.

It bugs me but now I just hustle them to the table and they get to eat thier breakfast with the other kids and I won't make any portions for them. What they're eating (bun w/nutella for dcg and frozen eggo for dcb) are never as good as what I serve so I feel bad but it's thier parents choice. They know when breakfast is served.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Toregone For This Useful Post:

You know, I guess I never really thought of asking for no outside food to come in through contract, just seems silly, but if it causes frustration on my part, its worth it. I think I will do that. It just bugs me and cant explain exactly why......sometimes when kids come in with food they kind of give a look to the others (when the others are eying it up) and with a snobby look on their face, they say something like "this is mine" or "you cant have any" uuuuugh!!! just makes me want to grab it from their hands and say, "neither can you!" and throw it in the garbage. maybe it create a "spoiled" mentality? maybe thats why it bothers me so.

I totally understand the frustration...I get that too...crumbs everywhere as I head them off to the highchair, their hands and faces a mess. But, I too remember those crazy busy mornings where I just could not get my little guy going (my workday involved us being ready and in the car by 6am for the 1/2 hr commute to Childcare then additional 1/2 hr to work) and it was breakfast in the car. Fortunately, I had a provider who did not mind (nor do I) me handing him over still in jammies... sometimes breakfast still in hand. So, I am very understanding...I just expect the respect that they not sugar their kids up with unhealthy crap and drop them off!!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

I've always told parents that drop off real early, I dont mind the child coming in pj's (i wont judge them ) just bring their clothes for the day and I will have them get dressed when they are ready to rise and shine "officially".

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidlove View Post
    I've always told parents that drop off real early, I dont mind the child coming in pj's (i wont judge them ) just bring their clothes for the day and I will have them get dressed when they are ready to rise and shine "officially".
    I do the same.
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

I have a policy in my contract about no outside food being brought in. Children are to come ready for the day and that includes breakfast, being dressed and able to fully participate from the first minute of arrival. If a parent allowed a child to bring food in I would pass that food back to the parent and tell them NO.

Quote Originally Posted by kidlove View Post
    You know, I guess I never really thought of asking for no outside food to come in through contract, just seems silly, but if it causes frustration on my part, its worth it.
    It bothers me for two reasons :

One, a child needs to be ready for the day. Period.

Two, these kids are in care 50 hours a week. I think it is important to be eating breakfast at a KITCHEN TABLE with a PARENT to start off the day. I think most parents these days really do not give enough importance to the Kitchen Table and eating meals there with their kids. Family time is important and eating together and sharing the upcoming day is a way to demonstrate to kids the important social aspect of family.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post: