Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Euphoric !
    Thanks Toregone, I know there are two differing opinions on this subject. But I serve breakfast at 8:30 and lunch at 11:30. I see a lot of my fellow caregivers on playdates giving their little ones snack at 9:30 at parks. However, it seems like if they are fed at 9:30 and again at 11:30 or even noon they wouldn't be hungry for lunch.

I serve 2 small items for breakfast, all the food groups for a huge lunch, and then 2 small items for afternoon snack at 3ish. It's working great for me and for my clients.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Toregone View Post
    I agree that the idea of the whole family sitting down for the breakfast meal is ideal but it is not not realistic for 2 working parents in most cases. When my son was in daycare I wouldn't put him in care somewhere that didn't serve breakfast. I wanted him to have a healthy meal that was not rushed and that just wasn't possible for morning in my home. I would get up 2 hours before I had to leave but by the time I was showered and ready, had my son woke, seen hubby off and mixed the formula/got the bag ready for daycare there was just not enough time to sit at the table and eat with him. Most morning I packed breakfast for myself and made it/ate it at work. This is why I offer breakfast in my program.
    Long story but bear with me: I'm 52 and was raised in the sixties and seventies. I'm from a blended family that had four boys and two girls. Five of six of us were within four years of each other. 3 of 5 of us were within 11 months of each other. My stepsister and I were the youngest of the five kids and the only girls.

We were raised from the time I was 9 to 14 in Rapid City South Dakota. We lived 2.2 miles from the Jr. High. We were raised in a strict Southern Baptist family where "womens work" was to serve the males. Our daily chores for a household of 8 people were very extensive for 12, 13, 14, 15 year old girls.

One of our daily chores was to get up and make breakfast for our brothers and ourselves, serve it to the boys, clean up the table, wash the dishes, get dressed for school and then walk the 2.2 mile walk to school. Now this was Rapid City South Dakota... so imagine what that was like in the winter. Brutal. We never ONCE ... not ONCE got a ride to school.

We had to be at school by 7:30 ish so that meant we had to be out the door by 6:45 to walk that walk and to get to our lockers and get to class on time. So here we were... two young teenage girls getting up EVERY day by 5 so that we could cook a home made breakfast (rotated french toast, pancakes, white rice, oatmeal, and scrambled eggs/toast M-F).

We did this every single day for YEARS. We weren't asked to do it.. we had to or we got hit/grounded/punished. By the time I got to school every day I was exhausted. I had put in 2.5 hours of pretty hard work for a kid... and a long cold walk... before I even opened a text book.

So when I hear how difficult it is for a parent to get their little kid up in the morning, make a REAL home made breakfast, get ready for work, and drive to work... I honestly have to say that's rediculous. I did WAY harder work for WAY more years with WAY less resources as a CHILD.

We need to get a grip and quit making excuses for parents not parenting. It's not THAT hard for an ADULT to get up, get dressed, make a meal, feed and dress a kid, and drive to work. I've btdt as a child and I survived. It was hard but I did it.

_
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daycarewhisperer For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I have been doing daycare for over 30 years and have seen it all! the thing that bothers me is parents who bring in McDonalds for breakfast..talk about not fair to the other kids. I told this to the mom and then she started bringing in McDonalds for all 4 or 5 of my daycare kids. She only did this occasionally, so I did not mind..as long as she could afford it! I have one little guy who comes in by 6:15 a.m. and the mom brings his breakfast, which he does not eat until 8:30 a.m. School starts this week, so I have to get him into eating it by 8:00 a.m. as we are getting ready for school by 8:30 a.m.

Loved your response Daycarewhisperer: unfortunately the world we live in today is no where near the same as it was then and before. I have a desire to keep things the way they were back them, today! family needs to stick together, meals need to be healthy and shared, chores are okay (not child abuse) I enjoy also raising alot of our food, goats for milk, chickens for eggs, pigs for meat and MANY gardens filled with so much. This is the way life should be, harder but better. A day on a farm the good old fashion way is a "harder" yet more rewarding day than any "worldy" day of get up get dressed get to mcdonalds, or grab the cereal bar and get out the door. IF you can manage that life (the harder life) your kids will be better off, IMO. Bet you hard working girls, made pretty spectacular wives. I hope your husbands appreciate you!!!!