I have to a 22 month old who doesn't take any social cues of someone not wanting him in their space. Most toddlers don't know personal space but this little one is right in their face. When they push him away and or turn away he follows them turns his face right into theirs. I never thought much about it but as my crew has grown, it seems that most of them tend to not play with him .....
Now this is where I think it's different- he is constantly needing to be touching skin. I am constantly telling him not to put his hand down my top- both front and back so instead he rubs my arms. If I'm wearing long pants ( yoga of course as it's my uniform ) he will put his hand and arm up my pant leg to touch my skin- when I tell him not to, he then touches my feet. i think this is another reason the kids get annoyed with him as he is doing the same to them.
Now he also bangs into walls while running around, shakes his head and carries on- could it just be high energy as he is go go go go go and even when he is sick, it doesn't slow him down.

So...my question is, how do I help him learn that the constant physical touching isn't acceptable as he is so young. i don't want to discourage him from loving hugs but what could I say that isnt' negative. What I am saying now is _____ I don't like you putting your hands down my top please- and then he just swings his head around and puts his face into mine....sits beside me and will find another body part to touch. I have to get him a toy to change his interest.

I've just never had a little on in my care so physical and I'm a huggy person but I'm not noticing that the other kids his age are starting to get really annoyed by it too