Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Expansive...

Ahh it's getting ugly....short payment

DCG who's 3 stayed home Wednesday & Today because she'd been throwing up since Tuesday dinner-time.

1st - mom text me 20min before her due arrival on Wednesday (mistake #1) saying "Hi Mamma_Mia, ***** has been quite sick since last night. I wanted to wait and see if she got better. (I have a 24hr rule on our contract - so mistake #2) She was sick after dinner and once in the night and she finished her breakfast about 1/2 hr ago and just lost it again. I'm going to keep her home today (duh) and watch how she does, prob take her to the Dr too." I reply with sympathy & concern and say to let me know what the Dr says.

I then text her at 5pm asking how dcg is doing - she took her to the Dr and they can't find anything off so it's just a bug. "She hasn't kept much down at all today, so trying to get her some pedialite". I reccomend the B.R.A.T and some soup then wish them well - then I ask "I guess you're keeping her home tomorrow too then?"

Mom replies - "Unless she gets alot better, I think so. I don't want to make the other kids sick too" thanks me for the food tip.

I then msg mom "I hope it's just a bug too. I'll be at the park in the morning and have some errands, I'll be home by 1pm....will DAD be stopping by?" (with my $$) Mom - "of course, I'll let him know"

Dad comes at 4pm with a sealed envelope and shorted me the two days she didn't come!!

I called mom 2 times and she didn't answer so I messaged her "Hi ****, I'm sorry...I opened the envelope and noticed that I was shorted 2 days pay. In our contract it states "Full time and part time fees are based on booked days, not attendance, therefore parents are responsible for fees whether child attends or not. (This includes sick days, statutory holidays and vacation time)".

SHE REPLIES -- "I thought you didnt want the kids to come when they are sick, you said that before. I would have brought her and gone to work" (yet she said before that dcg is staying home as she didn't want to get the others ill)

ME - "Well of course she should be at home. I wouldn't want the other children to catch anything. I don't want to make this a 'big deal' but it's all in the contract we both agreed on. I hope you understand"

Mom - "Thats why I didn't bring her"
    (So it would be OK for me to deal with your sick kid and cleaning up her puke all day....riiiight!!)

ME- "Well yes she was sick so can not attend but her spot was still 'taken' therefore fees still apply"

No response............ I HATE THIS!!!!!
    Last edited by Mamma_Mia; 08-09-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Clarifacation
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Euphoric !
    Why on God's green earth would you take a child with the flu to the doctor's office? Just so you can infect everyone else in the entire office with the flu germ? That's ridiculous!

Grounds for termination! How long have they been with you? This is how it is worded in my contract:

Weekly fees are payable regardless of closed daycare holidays, missed or sick days. Fees are not due when the daycare is closed due to caregiver’s vacation or illness or emergency.

I would quote my contract to anybody who questioned me and tell them they read it and signed it and must abide by it, no questions.

GOOD LUCK!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

And then you state that a termination letter will be written up if they can't come up with the shorted days.

Do you have it in your manual/contract with their signatures of this rule?

In my manual under the Illness Policy (it's bolded and capped):
    Regular child care fees apply for all children in times of illness.
    I also have in my manual (which they sign) under the Fees section, and in the Contract (which they also sign) that they HAVE to (again bolded and capped):
    Payment for late fees is due at time of drop-off the next day with exact cash or cheque or your child will not be allowed to come to care. If payment is late, I will require a $20 late fee per day. Each day that you do not pay, your child will NOT receive care.
    This pushes them to RESPECT me and my business, and that I do NOT put up with bullshit like your DCM is pulling.
    She would get a termination asap from me, unless she wants to fork over the money. She's paying for the child's spot, no matter what! The only time parents do not pay for care is when I have to close.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

She antis up the money or you terminate. Period. WTH would any parent assume that they could just bring a puking kid to daycare just so they could get their monies worth? And, furthermore, if it was all in the CONTRACT then why didn't she READ IT before she signed it? And, as you said, she obviously didn't read it because she was also clueless to the fact that there was a 24 hour exclusion policy.

I think it speaks VOLUMES about a parent who says they would have brought their sick, puking child to daycare if they thought they had to pay. Yeah, real nice parent to that child.

I don't know.....the fact alone that she admitted she cared so little for her kid as to have dumped her at daycare when sick if she had to pay would be enough for me to terminate this family. Because NEXT time she is just gonna medicate that kid to cover up the symptoms and dump her in your daycare and the next thing you know you are ALL gonna be sick.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Ugh, people can be so stupid. Why would any parent WANT to send their sick child and instead go to work??? What kind of 'threat' is that? If she doesn't respond, and she shows up Monday WITHOUT the owed fees, have a termination letter ready in hand.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    Yes, Termination and immediate if she doesn't come around ... and fast! You should call her. Block your number so she doesn't know it's you. Sucks for the budget I'm sure, but, it's like not paying your lawyer if you didn't win the court case. You have an aggreement, she was aware of it when she signed on. If she misunderstood then you've corrected her and she should pay up. Like not paying for part of your meal at a restaurant because you didn't eat your potatoes. UGH! I don't charge for sick days, but still... a contract is just that. She's being sneaky and I don't like sneaky... it takes all the trust away from the parent provider relationship.

Best of luck... stand your ground.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Seriously, don't people just get you so angry sometimes? Just stick to your guns and let her know she needs to pay for those two days. Did she even read your contracts or just sign on the line? My contracts are the same and that has happened to me before too. Except for the comment of "I would have just brought her and gone to work" oh my! WOW! You may have a winner there.
    Not sure if some people are really that dumb? or if they play "dumb" to try and get a break. I always say, not only do I require 24hr notice but you also have to concider there is nothing any of us can do about a child being ill. If I knew within 24hr that you would keep her home I wouldnt charge and would have enough time to fill her spot. I'm sure you'll get your cash!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

Totally agree with Momof4 too: that is one of my biggest pet peeves in the world.....people who are stupid enough to bring their kid to the Dr if they are vomiting. What? At least give it a couple days before making a call to the doc. If its so serious the child run the risk of dehidration after a week of vomiting or cant keep food down for like a week maybe, but seriously? That is exactly how that NASTY crap gets spread in the first place. IF YOU OR ANYONE IN YOUR HOUSE IS ILL... STAY HOME!!!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

jec
    Oh wow
    I'll share a note I wrote for someone on facebook who was complaining about her daycare for this reason. Amazes me that someone would drop their little one off sick. Don't you wish you could just hand out the below for your daycare parent!!

Your child is sick; do you bring them to daycare?
    The idea to write this came from a comment hat someone hated their daycare as their little one is always getting sick and bringing the illness into their home.
    Asking yourself if you should take your child to daycare and or keep them home, is something every parent has had to ask themselves. Things like ‘my boss is going to give me a hard time’ or ‘I have so much work to do’, ‘I have a meeting that I can’t miss’ all go through your mind. Just the simple fact of using up your own sick and vacation days is annoying. As a Mom and daycare provider, I have been on both sides. I’ve been a parent with two little ones ill with many colds/flu. My husband and I used to do rock paper sizzers as to who was going to take the day off of work. My husband was also paid hourly so it took a hit to our pocket book as well. As a daycare provider, it is not my job to take care of your sick child. As a parent, that job belongs to you. I can only care for a child with cold like symptoms
    The first years of your little one is like a roller coaster of illness as they are building their immune systems.
    He/she could catch a virus anywhere. The chances are higher that they caught it from daycare and or playing with other kids as children share toys and then share their germs.
    As a daycare provider, I have had parents bring their child to daycare with a fever reducing medicine already given to them, without making me aware. Masking an illness that could make other’s sick.
    Keep these things in mind when giving your little one medication like Advil or Tylenol without advising your daycare provider;
    ~ If there is an emergency and your little one is rushed to the hospital, medical professionals will need to know if your little one is on any medication. There are risks of over dosing and or reaction to another medication being administered
    ~ Knowingly passing on a virus to not only the other kids in the daycare but their extended families which can result in other families also losing days off work and income. Always put the shoe on the other foot. Would you want someone bringing their child to daycare with your little one’s symptoms and expose them and you to becoming ill.
    ~ What about yourself when you’re not feeling well, how simple things can seem overwhelming and exhausting. Putting a little one into a busy daycare environment when dealing with a fuzzy head or chills and aches isn’t fair. Being on a fever reducing medicine will cause drowsiness and affect their coping skills. A simple thing can turn into a big deal.
    This brings me back to the reason above as to why I wrote this, that not all daycares are the reason your child brings an illness into your home. By bringing your little one to care knowing they are ill beyond cold like symptoms and or given them Advil or Tylenol to mask the symptoms, YOU may have brought that illness into someone else’s home. This note is to give parents a different perspective to look at when making the decision if they should bring their child to daycare when they are sick.
    I am confident in saying that all daycare providers want their daycare families to be honest and upfront. The well being of your child and the other children in our care, always comes first.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jec For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    Grounds for termination! How long have they been with you?
    She has been wiht me for over 6 months now...she has the contract at home and I have a signed copy. No excuses! I agree she must pay up on Tuesday! (sigh) it's "simple" to just say pay me or go...but it's not easy, right?

Now the question is re: in the termination letter I was thinking of giving her 2 weeks...I'm such a sissy! This is the first BIG thing between us and I don't want to 'screw her'. I could say this is the last week or the full two? I don't know if I'll feel comfortable doing an immediate (unless she responds and really pisses me off 'more'). GRRRRRRR I feel like crap, I hate this stuff.
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!