Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Terminate my own child?

Im really at my wits end with my own son. He will be 3 in January. Not sure if he has a split personality or is bi polar or what, lol.

He can be very loving, and show concern for others, will share, etc one min(hr, day) and then he turns. He went through a biting stage, then seemed to stop, but it has slowly creeped back. He'll also hit or tackle the other boys. For the summer I only have 2 boys in care (and my 2.5mo daughter), one will be 2 in Oct and the other is 4. He will pick on both equally. He has a very strong personality whereas the other two are very timid (for the most part, but have their moments).

I've tried reasoning-as well as you can with a 2.5yo, time outs, separation, shadowing, everything I can think of and nothing seems to work.
    I'm afraid that if his behaviour doesn't improve I will lose my dc kids.

Any suggestions???
    Cheeky Monkey Daycare

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    agh, I went through the same thing with my son.... I never found a real solution but was able to manage it by giving him "tasks" to do with me such as get lunch ready, set the table.
    Giving him more one on one time with me etc.

He is now 4.5 and is much better but if he wasn't mine he would have been terminated ages ago lol

apples and bananas
    LOL, the title of this thread made me laugh. How do I terminate my own kids??? They don't have the same bounderies as the daycare kids, we're easier on them and we're way more emotionally attached to them.

You should consider putting him into another home daycare or centre care PT. Especially since he'll be starting school next year this might be a good way to give him the social experiance without mom around.

Shy
    My daughter can be a handful most days. I am keeping my fingers crossed that a neighbour with start a DC soon. I would like to send her twice a week!!!

This was one of those "ahhhh I'm not alone" posts. My 'just turned 3' little boy is often my biggest challenge as well. He's a screamer...happy, sad, mad....he's just LOUD about everything & like yourself, I have tried everything it seems. It's so weird too because the rest of us are such quiet people?! Fortunately in every other area he's a really great kid but man does he make my hears hurt! I did have a problem at first, with him being the baby of our family he didn't know his own strength (wrestles with older brothers); but with reinforcement of being gentle & "hands to self" & some time in the time out chair he actually got over this pretty quickly. One thing you may try is a 'safe zone'. An area that kids can go alone for some quiet time alone (mine is a little tent that I use as a book nook), or, as Reggio uses; a hula hoop to define personal space. Best of luck to you! I just keep saying to myself "this too shall pass".
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Sounds like you have a strong willed child!! Plus you are running a Day Care (more than likely against his will) as far as he is concerned he would like them all to go home and have his Mommy to himself! My son had a few issues at that age, not a biter or hitter, but did get upset a bit and I could tell it was over the "child invasion". If he is 3 he is def ready for more mature discipline "what ever that is for you" but firm. Dont give in, stick to your word. (assuming he is also a bit of a manipulator) Dont treat him any dif from the daycare, as matter of fact sometimes of course (because he is your child) you can be more stearn and let him know there is no room to budge. Wow! sounds like you are having a "time", it will get better.......I believe there is more of terrible 3's rather than 2's.
    What type things do you do when he bites or gets aggressive with the others?