Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    jec

Helping parents understand

Hey everyone,
    I've got a new one 12 months who joined me this Tuesday and great first week. Yes, she needs to be up in my arms a lot but then she is getting her sense of security with me. She eats well, smiles and what I think is a great first week.

Nap time however has been a challange. Her parents have asked me to keep her sleep schedule at home the same here to help with her adjustment to daycare and I have no problem with that but I fell she needs to go down early but, they know her best so I'm going with it. I've been getting comments of how horrible she is at night and it's not sleeping here that is the reason. Today I had to put her down for a nap at 11:30 with the rest of my crew who is sick ( cold bug my own kids seemed to have passed on) they all were off yesterday but today seems to have hammered the other 3 I have and they all needed to nap early. The little one 12 months was just screaming while eating her lunch. I really couldn't calm her and then when Ipicked her up, she put her head down on me. So...I did what I think was best for her and put her down and within 5 minutes out. BUT then woke up at 40 minute mark. Now just standing up looking around. i'm not going in the room she is in- seperate from the other kids as I hope she can fall sleep.

I'm feeling a little bad that I didn't follow the parent's suggestions as I emailed them to let them know about the cold bug going around and that she might catch it...and that i put her down early and why....and I got an email back saying that she was cranky last night and hope that she sleeps or they won't be able to put to her to bed tonight

I just find that the dad first time I met with him at the door for first day of drop off and we chatted the second day- every time I said something he seemed to be defensive and cut me off
    and now I'm feeling uneasy about making mistakes. any suggestions on how to handle it ladies.

Euphoric !
    Is this 12 month old still napping in the morning ? I have one that's almost 16 months and still needs 1 hour in the am or she can't make it to 12:30 and lunch time is a nightmare so she gets one hour in the morning but no more then that cause she won't sleep in the aft. So maybe she needs a little nap in the am and then the reg nap in the aft ....

jec
    parents want her down for 9am and then again at 1:30. so she goes in the morning for an hour here vs 2 at home. again in the afternoon for usually 40 minutes vs 2 again for her afternoon nap

being first 4 days though

apples and bananas
    First of all, parents work around my sleep schedule, I don't work around thiers. For example, I'm transitioning a new 1 year old in. Mom says he sleeps twice a day but the times vary. I've asked her to wake him up as if they are going to work so he's used to the morning wake up. Then put him down around 9:15 after a quick snack, but wake him up 45 min later so he goes down again no later then 1pm. This way he starts to loose his morning nap and we can back up his afternoon to noon with the rest of my crew. They work towards my schedule. I have 5 kids some days. CAn you imagion working on every one of their individual schedules? I'd constantly be up and down the stairs!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

jec
    I'm flexible to work little ones in for the first while until they move into our schedule. I'll start waking her up after she gets more comfortable with the changes going on. I make parents aware that they do have to work into our schedule.
    Everyone else is sleeping and it's just her that is up- only for the next little while until she gets more comfortable.

Just second day- and I met the Dad the first time Tuesday morning at drop off, he kept cutting me off as I was saying things. I felt he was almost confratiatonal -spelling there
    and I just shut it as I'm not aruging with him. I feel like I'm on egg shells now

apples and bananas
    Sounds like they may have the perception that you work for them. It may just be a personality that doesn't go with yours. Give it time, that might work itself out. I find that parents are often defensive at first, until they develop a trust. Especially with their first born.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    And I agree with AandB. People work around MY schedule. I CANNOT be expected to work around every single child's individual schedule and I make that clear from the beginning. You need to explain your hours and the way it works in your daycare and that they need to make some time for asjustments. She's probably not sleeping at night because she missed her parents.

Secondly, DO NOT worry about making mistakes. You run your business they way you want to and the way you feel comfortable and confident. If you give them room for suggestions, or room to judge, trust me - they will. You need to seem like you know what you are doing, even when you don't, otherwise, parents will see it as an opportunity to take advantage. If they don't like how you're running the ship, they can find another daycare that better meets their needs.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Littledragon For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by jec View Post
    I'm flexible to work little ones in for the first while until they move into our schedule. I'll start waking her up after she gets more comfortable with the changes going on. I make parents aware that they do have to work into our schedule.
    Everyone else is sleeping and it's just her that is up- only for the next little while until she gets more comfortable.

Just second day- and I met the Dad the first time Tuesday morning at drop off, he kept cutting me off as I was saying things. I felt he was almost confratiatonal -spelling there
    and I just shut it as I'm not aruging with him. I feel like I'm on egg shells now
    I have a confrontational dad too. And unfortunately, I just have to be confrontational back. Either I back off completely and say "I don't know why you're getting so frustrated" or I get my back up and say "let me finish please". Stand your ground! DON'T let your clients make you feel inadequate. You deserve better than that!

jec
    Quote Originally Posted by apples and bananas View Post
    Sounds like they may have the perception that you work for them.
    I think your right....and I created it.
    I need to learn to just shut it and trust my self as Littledragon says.

Thanks ladies, I needed a little empowerment I'm feeling better. I need to learn to not give out so much info!!

Outgoing
    I don't try to adapt children into their home schedules here. I want them on my schedule. The only way to get them on it is to put them on it. I do it from day one with the exceptions of newborns (birth to four months). At his age he would go back to bed right when he arrived here and sleep till nine. Then up from nine to noon... then nap from 12:15 to 2:45.

That's the schedule from day one.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer