Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Single mothers

Shy
    I am guessing you don't have any friends who are single mothers.
    I have been a single mother since my kids were toddlers ( which is why I opened up my own dayhome). I work 60 hours a week between my day home and another part time job to support my kids. I receive child support from my ex who makes over $100,000/yr and I assure you I am in no danger of being " rich". I also have had several single mothers who use/used my day home services, and like me, work very hard to earn an income to support our kids.

Shy
    I also tell the families that I interview for my dayhome that I am a single mom. Not because I want them to feel sorry for me or give me more money, but because I want them to understand that I am the only adult living in the house ( this tends to reassure some families who worry about abuse from a male spouse or relative).As well, I have a second job to go to after I close my Dayhome so I let them know that they have to pick their kids up on time! There is no other adult to watch over the kids when I leave for work!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Home away View Post
    I also tell the families that I interview for my dayhome that I am a single mom. Not because I want them to feel sorry for me or give me more money, but because I want them to understand that I am the only adult living in the house ( this tends to reassure some families who worry about abuse from a male spouse or relative).As well, I have a second job to go to after I close my Dayhome so I let them know that they have to pick their kids up on time! There is no other adult to watch over the kids when I leave for work!
    Wow! This is opposite to what a best friend of mine does. She is a single mother but she hardly uses this label. She feels that giving this kind of information is a very vulnerable subject especially when she is living alone with her own children and having estrangers visiting her house.

During interviews she avoids the question or explanation. She doesn't use iy as a pity she explains her clients that her childrens father has long work hours and also travels and no more explanation given. Also, she is clear to families that her daily commitment as mother with her own children's in her home or extracurricular activities do not allow her to spend any extra time in her daycare.

She has three children and she works three jobs, hardly time for herself but she is a woman that many of us admire she does it all. Never asked for help or felt sorry for her situation she is happy and strong. She told me once that her children look up to her and she is in the role of showing them that lives can not be shaped or lived for or by a "label" she is just a human as everyone else and she is a parent, never took advantage in fact she likes to help and support others.

She has never thaught her children to feel disadvantaged in any way, she focuses in reading and guiding her children to become strong and very well grounded adults.
    Last edited by Peacefulbird; 05-10-2018 at 05:39 AM.

Shy
    I dont feel that being a single mom is something to hide or be ashamed about. Nor do I consider it a "label" any more than being a " woman" is a label. I am honest and upfront about my situation . Many of the families that I interview ask about what adults are living in my house, because it is a safely issue for children. Some families have chosen to go with my day home BECAUSE there isn't a male living in the home (and I fully applaud and understand that decision as my sisters were raped by a male relative when they were 10 yrs old). As for safety, I have an alarm system and a really big dog!

I'm a single mother and I live normally. The youngest son is 4,5 years old, the older is 21, he is a college student and now lives apart. I work as a teacher at the university and I earn well. When my youngest son turned 2 years old, I took work at home, I was working at essay writing service. I put money aside for repairs in our flat, plus I subletting a one-room apartment and get paid for it. I have both parents, mom and dad, they help me a lot, now they are sitting with the baby while I'm at work. Everything is completely normal in my life, I even have a car, I'm not complaining about anything. I just think that you need to take everything in your hands and achieve your goals!

Euphoric !
    With almost 50% of marriages ending in divorce and with many more relationships between people who didn't marry, I don't think being a single parent is a big deal these days. In fact, odds are most people are a single parent at some time in their lives these days.

That said, most people remain involved in their children's lives and financially help in some way so although there isn't the two person household for the extras, I don't think it's a dire as some imply.

The people who I really admire are the sole parents. Those people who have lost a spouse, or whose ex no longer is involved in their child's lives or the deadbeat parents who walk away leaving the remaining parent with all the responsibility and financial burden. Those who are on 24x7, with zero support, no break every few weekends when the kids could have gone off to the absent parent, who run from school to work to activities on their own.

Single parenting is hard but being the sole parent must be incredibly exhausting.

There's a lady near us, who moved here from another country, who has no family on the Continent whose husband ran off with a younger woman and didn't want to pay child support so just disappeared. All the financial burden, zero support and in a strange country. Her youngest is off to Uni this year and her oldest is still living home but we've seen her struggle at times over the last 15 years. She's done an amazing job. Her children are the nicest young adults and so polite, kind and thoughtful.

It’s a pity that things are going this way.

Banned Shy
    It's hard to be a single mother. But it is impossible not to notice that such families become the norm in recent years. I can only try to propose to use the cupid site. This is an excellent dating site that can be called a classic. Would you like new romantic relationships? Or maybe you need a reliable partner to raise children? You will find everything on this site.