Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar

Getting attached to Daycare Kids

Does anyone here really get attached to children in thier care? Granted I haven't been open long but I am not attached to any of the children I have. I like them all and think they're an awesome group but if any had to leave my care for some reason I wouldn't be upset about it.

Anyone else like this or do most providers really get close and bond with thier DCK?

Personally I'm happy with my situation. If anyone ever does leave for some reason I won't be hurt/upset and this is a good thing.

jec
    Very much so! I had to close my daycare to open where we moved ~ 3 months later I saw a few of them and cried and hugged them so tight their heads almost popped off! I've opened my new daycare in my new place and although it's only been 7 months, I adore them all

I have a great crew as well, but nope. I would not shed any tears if any of them were to leave. In fact, my 4 year old dcg is starting school in September and will only be here for 3 more weeks. She is attached to me and always hugs me and tells me she missed me over the weekend...but I don't think I'll be losing any sleep over her leaving

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    There are some that really touch my heart and they are usually quite the characters, loveable, funny, great to have around every day. Then there are a couple who have left and I'm at the door waving byebye and glad to see them move on because I've done all I can do for them and barely survived the 3 years!

Outgoing
    I have had 2 that I absolutely cried when they left (left to join their mommies on mat leave, will be returning too but it still upset me to think they were going away for a year). I have some that I would be thrilled if they left lol and the others I really like but have no real attachment too. If they stay that's great because they are good kids, but if they go, that's just life. I try really hard not to develop too much of a connection with them because its just too hard when they go!

It's funny you should post this; I was just talking about this with my neighbour who is a foster parent & says the same. It was a career hazard I was so worried about...getting so attached to the little ones. But, like yourself, I have a great group; our day is filled with loving affection for each...kids, of course, need that as much or more than the other aspects of care we give them. However, at the end of the day I have an inner sigh of relief when I hand the happy, smiley kids (or the crying baby) over to their parents.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Starting to feel at home...
    I've had kids that I was actually happy to see leave and some that broke my heart. I just closed my daycare and reopened in my new home about 20mins away from where I was so many of the kids were unable to follow me. It broke my heart. I cried, the parents cried, the kids looked at us like we were nuts. Torgone, I think that if the kids were to actually leave you might feel differently - about a few of them at least.
    Not the babysitter!

Euphoric !
    I have found that the longer a child is with me, the more attached I get...and I really didn't think this would happen! Although I am happy to say goodbye to them at the end of the day as I am tired and the days are long, I would miss some of them quite a bit if they dropped out of my life. I am about to move to a new neighbourhood and some of the kids won't be able to follow me...for some I am not really sad as the attachment isn't so strong, but for others I think I will feel very sad to see them go

Outgoing
    I think we subconsioualy sort of distance ourselves from getting attached because we know there is a possibility that we could lose these children and never see them again. I never thought I was attached to any of my kids until i suddenly was faced with having to terminate one of the children because of his parents, and I realized just how attached to him I was. However, I've had him since he was 10 months old, and a lot of the way he is now is because of work I have done with him. On the flip side, I had a little girl leave last week and when I hugged and kissed her goodbye, I got a little sad, but it was over once she was gone.
    I think it takes us a while to grow a bond with these children and for them to become a big part of our lives. Since you haven't been open for very long, it might just be that you're not completely bonded/attached to them. I think there is always a bit of attachement to any child, whether you know it or not. Just wait till one of them might be leaving and then re-evluate your feelings lol

Starting to feel at home...
    I DO get very attached, but I know that is not for everyone and that is fine. Personally, I find it really helps to be bonded with the kids and there are still a few that I miss very much from when we moved on my mat leave. Maybe because my sons are still young and part of the daycare, but the kids that are coming are their friends and I do take their feelings into consideration as they also have to spend the day with the kid. There have only been two families that I haven`t really bonded with the children, and both of those care relationships ended pretty quickly due to some other factors (parents not respecting policies, behavior issues, etc). When those issues become apparent, then it becomes stressful to see the family arriving at the door then it affects the ability to bond with the kids the way I would like as I can see an end date and don`t want to get hurt. Currently, every family in care is just fantastic and I really look forward to my days with this great group of kids. If anyone had to leave, I would understand, but I would miss all of these kids quite a bit.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ladyjbug For This Useful Post: