Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Help with figuring out what to charge.

Hello there! First post, looking for some advice

I'm meeting with a family tomorrow who is looking for care. Both parents work the same 24hr rotation and would be looking for care 7-8 times/month. The little one is 2 yrs old and would be with me for 25hrs (6am-7am the next day) at a time. I would have a years schedule at a time, so i would know what I would be working a year in advance. This would include one Saturday and one Sunday a month, and occasional stats, depending on how the rotation fell.

I presently run mon-fri 7:30-5PM (40$/day) and have 2 other kids in care, plus my own 2.

Where would you even start to figure out what to charge? I'd like to figure out a set monthly amount.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Countrymomma; 08-11-2012 at 05:51 PM.

Euphoric !
    I wouldn't even consider it .... Sorry I'm no help

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Just a thought but how about breaking down your daily rate to hourly:
    ($40/day=$4.50/hr times 25 hrs= $112.50 each 25 hour 'shift'?...just multiply the $112.50 times 7 or 8 (the # of shifts they need you for). Hope that makes sense?
    You also may choose to consider a premium/extra amount for weekends & stats?
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    ok wow. I have no idea how to charge for that. Breaking down your daily into hourly is good but you really should charge a premium for anything past your regular end of business day and weekends.

You are a brave woman.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Toregone For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Yes, I would definitely charge a premium for having someones child during evening and through the night as well!

Outgoing
    Althought I could never do that lol if you feel that's something you would like to take on, then by all means. I agree with dreamalittledream. You should break down your day to hourly and charge hourly. Most likely, they'll take whatever you charge because finding care for those hours will be relatively impossible - unless the get a live in nanny, which cost much more than that. The fact that you have guaranteed hours for a year is great! I would definitely charge per hour. I have a friend who is opening a daycare and she charges $35 a day. She worked 12 hours one day and 6 hours the next. So, in two days, she worked 18 hours and got paid $60. That's not fair at all. Anything over 9 hours, I charge the additional time per hour.

Euphoric !
    At minimum it is two times the daily rate plus. You are only open 9 1/2 hours anyways so they are coming pretty close to three times your daily rate. Taking into account the child will be asleep some of the time with you $100 a shift is not unreasonable. I would also consider some sort of premium for the weekend and any stat day since they will likely be getting a shift premium too on those days.

Do realize that it will be taking up a full time space so you might also consider doing that. In essence they are working their shifts and getting what they consider full time wages on a monthly basis. They will be taking up a full time space. Charging them your regular monthly rate is an option with the understanding the weekends and stats are included in that rate and set out how much extra time they may use if desired such as bringing the child for an extra day when they have errands and it not costing them since they are paying for the space anyways.

If you will have the yearly calendar then count up how many days you will be doing care and then since it is 24 hours double that to determine the monthly rate. Or do that for the days that fall during the week and then apply a different rate to days that fall on weekends or stats.

It isn't something I would want to do. I have had kids for evening shifts - 4-10 but they were for desparate neighbours etc and people that were already friends and they paid well for the privilege.

I agree with the ladies above! BUT also remember if you're taking holidays with your family - will you want to take them on.

You posted that you will have them one Sat and one Sun and some STAT days. Have you considered that you may want to take holidays as well?!

Just a thought!

regular day charge plus time and a half for rest of day during week day. Regular day charge plus double time rest of the day during weekend. Stat holiday 2 times regular day charge(if you normally get paid for stat days) and double time for the rest of the day. My suggestion.

Shy
    I would charge $125 per care shift as you will be feeding this child at least 4 meals. but to be honest there is no way I would take on a child with those hours.. Having a schedule in advance is nice but do you really want your weekends and holidays screwed up.. What happens if both parents are working Christmas AND ( or) NEW YEARS. or what happens if the child is sick during the parents shift?

It would be hard to plan your own free time and vacation and you would have set up a proper sleeping area for this child.