Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

What to include in PArents Handbook?

Hello all,

I am new to this site and am opening my home daycare for September. I'm just wondering what I should be including in the Parents Handbook. Does anyone have one that they can email me so that I might use it as a template?

Thanks

Amanda

Hey Amanda,

Give me a PM, and I'll give you some pointers!

My Contract includes
    • Full legal name and birthdays of children it applies to
    • Parents legal names and home mailing Address
    • Who Income tax is to be issued to
    • Hours of Care being committed to both days and drop off and pick up times
    • Weekly Fee total ____________
    • Security Deposit amount followed by policy for non refundable or applied to proper notice period under certain conditions
    • Payment schedule weekly / biweekly / month in advance of care ... policy on payments re cheques or cash, late payment of fees , NSF charges and what will happen if clients repeatedly have NFS issues, additional charges that may apply if client uses more hours than committed to ~ aka late picking up their child at end of day, need to drop off earlier than contracted and so forth.
    • Program closure policies around stats, vacation, sick days, etc as well as policy around absences for 'clients' and which one are paid or not and any 'notice' required etc.
    • Parent handbook for service disclaimer that it was received, reviewed in detail and questions answered, and provider agrees to provide service as outlined within the handbook and client agrees to abide by all program polices and procedures contained within it to ensure provider has resources and support needed to provide proper service.
    • Termination notice required for ending contract or 'conditions' under which this contract can be terminated without notice by either party and that this contract is in place until another 'more recently dated one' replaces it.
    • signatures and dates of all parties

My Parent Handbook contains
    • Mission Statement
    • Philosophy on Early Learning and Care
    • Hours of Operation / Standing Program Closure Dates / Provider Vacation & Personal Day policies
    • Registration and Orientation procedures / What to expect upon enrollment / First day checklist
    • Fee Payment polices (in greater detail / explanation than contract)
    • Tax Receipt policies
    • Withdrawal / Changes to Service / Termination of Contract (in greater detail / explanation than contract)
    • Custody Arrangements and Separated Parent protocols
    • Arrival and Departure protocols and expectations
    • Release to other parties other than parent/guardian procedures
    • Supervision protocol
    • Nutrition philosophy and meal time protocols
    • Physical Activity philosophy and Inclement Weather protocols
    • Washroom / Diapering / Toilet training protocols
    • Health & Safety in program (aka immunization protocols, illness and communicable disease protocols, emergency medical care protocols, medication at home or in care protocols, toothbrush program, cleaning of program space and materials in the environment, fire drills and evacuation plan, etc)
    • Behavior and Guidance protocols ~ code of conduct, grounds for termination in regards to behavior and so forth
    • Communication protocols for daily communication as well as 'conflict resolution'.
    • Confidentiality and storing of personal information protocols
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi