Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Croup

jec

Croup

I had a Mom drop off their little one this morning letting me know that Friday night they were in Emergency with croup. ( Little back ground to our past week- my kids caught a cold at a family get together, then they passed it onto the daycare kids and I had it this weekend and just about knocked me on my As*!@ )
    Everyone has had runny noses, coughing and just what I thought was a cold. Now he was at emergency and they gave him medication ...kept him for observation and sent him home saying that the one dose was enough. He still has a wee cold but great mood!

So reading up croup it's contageous ~ he should be fine now shouldn't he? I can't seem to find anything on how long it is...he's smiling no coughing and running around in a great mood! He got the all clear from the Drs but think I should let the other parents know a child in the daycare had croup and to keep an ear out for the crouup sound just in case as all 4 are sick

Euphoric !
    I use www.about.com/health for most of my information .... I checked and it didn't really say about contagious effects ... So I'm no help ... Sorry

jec
    http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/chi...llnesses/croup
    I got my info from here but, so many sites and different options. Thanks for the above link ~ I'm always looking for places to find stuff out.

Just wondering if anyone on the board dealt with it before.

apples and bananas
    I too have read that croup is contagious... however... My daughter had croup when she was 18m onths old. She ended up in the hospital for 2 nights with sever ear infections as well as croup. She never passed it on to anyone. Now, whenever she get's a cold (and she's 9) It always seems to end with that croupy cough. She has never passed it on to anyone else that I know of and she's always been in home daycares. I don't have a policy on coughs. If they are well enough to participate and they are not running a fever they are good to go in my opinion.

I wouldn't discuss with the parents. If it's bad enough to warn the parents then the child shoudln't be in your care in my opinion.

jec
    If I felt that this little one wasn't to be in my care- he wouldn't be here. I hvae it stated in my contract that I can only care for a child with cold like symtoms and not sending anyone home based on a cough- as I mentioned above, he is playing and smiling. Great mood! Based on what I had to read, it is contagious but then so is the cold we've all passed around this past week ~ all all suffering through today

I'm trying to cover all my bases by asking you ladies as I've never come across it...and I'm sure many of you have either personal or in your business. I'm just thinking from the stand point of a parent as well~ if something is going around, wouldnt' it be good to have a heads up? Know to listen for it as it has it's own sound apparently as I've never incounted it.

jec
    if I sent home every kid with cough...runny nose then I'd never have anyone here
    which might not be a bad thing

Outgoing
    Croup just ran its course through my daycare. It is EXTREMLY contagious. That being said, it's most contagious before the symptoms even show themselves. However, I think that croup may be a little overdiagnosed. My son had a really bad cough and I brought him to the clinic and the dr said it was a chest infectiona nd gave him antibiotics. We then brought him to the ER and they said it would croup and that the antibiotics wouldn't help it. Within about 48 hours, he was better, so I had a feeling it was a chest infection and not croup. Croup also has a very large range of severity. My son, they said, was at a 2 out of 10.

If the child isn't showing any symptoms, then there isn't much you can do. Sounds like he's better. Others may catch it, but it could have been from the cold before and the child was just more suseptible to getting the couch.

jec
    Thanks ladies ~ I want' wondering if I should send him home....he seems to be great other than a runny nose as we all have.
    I had no idea about croup haveing a range of severity..he must have been on the low side as the hospital gave him one dose of medication and then he reacted so well they sent him home.

I just thought I should mention it to my daycare families that someone in daycare had it and with them all being sick..something to look for??
    I've never heard it..

Euphoric !
    I always mention this sort of thing just so parents know to be on the lookout for symptoms. I had a child come down with croup while in my care and it was sudden and scary (he woke up from a nap crying and wheezing and almost unable to breath!). He was home for about a week, btu nobody else caught it. I still warned everyone and they appreciated knowing. That's just my take on it.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Littledragon View Post
    Croup just ran its course through my daycare. It is EXTREMLY contagious. That being said, it's most contagious before the symptoms even show themselves. However, I think that croup may be a little overdiagnosed. My son had a really bad cough and I brought him to the clinic and the dr said it was a chest infectiona nd gave him antibiotics. We then brought him to the ER and they said it would croup and that the antibiotics wouldn't help it. Within about 48 hours, he was better, so I had a feeling it was a chest infection and not croup. Croup also has a very large range of severity. My son, they said, was at a 2 out of 10.

If the child isn't showing any symptoms, then there isn't much you can do. Sounds like he's better. Others may catch it, but it could have been from the cold before and the child was just more suseptible to getting the couch.
    I agree with this completely!

I just wanted to say I hope nobody else gets sick jec, including you! We had the summer colds around here last month and I was getting tired of chasing runny roses for 2 weeks. Knock on wood that it's over!