Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    I just had this problem with a soother and a Mom who was enabling her 2 1/2 year old boy. Why do the Moms work against us? Keep going apples & bananas and the little guy will figure out it's your way or no way.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have one that's over 3 that still has a soother actually 5. He cones in every morning with one in his mouth and the other four on his fingers like rings.... He put them in his bag and they stay there all day and when he gets picked up the first thing he does is reach in the bag and grab them out shove one in his mouth and smirk at me. I'd like to cut the ends off them all.

Your post could have been written by me...except the child in my care is a 2.5 girl. The second she loses that thing, she starts crying and panicking. Recently, I've taken it away and told her that her blankie was having a nap and that when she is ready to go nap too, her blankie will be there for her. She was pretty upset by it, but was fine when she woke up from her nap. I wonder how this week will go. lol. The thing is....she doesn't even need the thing! If her mom drops her off without it, she doesn't even care. I think it's time to tell mom to keep it at home. lol
    Eighteen months is still young, but dragging a blanket around is a tripping hazard!

Crayola Kiddies, a little boy I care for always came here with a soother. When he started here, he was 18 months and he just turned 2. He needed it at first. By the time he turned 20 months old, I realized that all his soothers were chewed and ripped. I couldn't believe his parents would send him with those things and expect me to let him use them at nap time (or when needed). I threw 3 of them out and told them they were choking hazards. He was upset about not having his soother for his naps at first, but didn't care after a while. Now he doesn't even care. He doesn't ask for one...He doesn't need it. yet, they still think he does. I keep seeing him in pictures on fb with one in his mouth. I just want to rip it out and throw it in the garbage! lol

Euphoric !
    Fresh .... Me too!!!! Same post verbatim ..... Child started here at 18 months and always had the thing cliped to his shirt within two months I had broken the habit of him sleeping with it and I told the parents hoping they would follow my lead but nooooo! He's three now sleeps in a big boy bed, brings his big boy napsac ( to carry his soothers in) mom thinks he's ready to give up his nap but has a soother and has just started potty training .... Why do parents focus on the wrong things ????? If his soothers break she buys new ones ...... I believe parents just want calm when they have their child .... When he is picked up he gets his soother out of his bag and pops it in his mouth and mom smiles and says " it will be a nice quiet ride home" seriously ???????
    Last edited by Crayola kiddies; 08-14-2012 at 06:39 AM.

apples and bananas
    I have to question why I bother sometimes. If mom's ok with a soother or a blanky and they're not hurting anyone here, then why is it suddenly my job to break the habit? Same with bottles. I have another one that still has a bottle for one meal. She gives me a sippy cup with milk and a bottle with milk every day. I poor the bottled milk into my own sippy cup and have broken him of the bottle. She still sends a bottle! Why?

Oh, and in regards to that "I got what I want" smirk as soon as mom shows up? I get it too.

Outgoing
    I don't allow blankets or lovies at all until they are over the age of two and only in their beds at naptime. I have a separate nursery for the under two crowd and don't allow blankets in that room at all. We use blanket sleepers (sacks) or footed pajamas over their clothes at nap for warmth.

I have found that attachment items are escalators and draw the kids away from what I want them to do which is "go play toys". Anything that interferes with them playing toys independently will not work here. I also don't allow any child to own anything that is available. I own everything so we don't have any "mines" or hoarding behaviors.

I would just cut him off of it completely. Put it up right when he arrives and give it back as he's getting ready to leave. You can see how unhappy he is about it. Release him from the fixation by just not making it available. This will de-esclate him at your house and make him love it even more at home which will buy much peace and quiet for mom at home.

I have kids here who are blankie and paci addicts and they have never had them in my home but carry them and suck them from the time they leave till they get back. They do fine with different rules for different houses. We don't have to copy what parents do at home. We are raising human babies and they are designed to be very adaptable.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

Euphoric !
    I allow the children to bring cuddles for naptime but they stay in their backpacks until naptime and go back there as soon as they wake up.

Euphoric !
    I refuse to have a conversation with a child with a soother in their mouth so once they are in the 15 month range it has to go during our circletimes for sure and then gradually I just stop giving it to them.