Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi View Post
    I asked Mom if they were following through with training at home and she said she can't because their house is carpeted.......what?
    Unbelieveable.
    I am getting used to the odour of pee every morning when my son has wet the bed. Just change the sheets and wipe down the mattress. And the random liquid drops on the floor in the bathroom? I don't ask, just clean it up. That faint brown stain on my sons bedroom carpet? Yep, another accident. Looking forward to replacing the carpets, couches, and kitchen table when my kids are older.
    Its a part of raising kids. You DEAL with the mess that goes along with them.

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    On the reverse to the really too old kids not being potty trained yet do you have any experiences with children too young to be trained? I recently had an interview with the parents of a 13 month old who they swore was "almost trained" but the last DCP hadn't kept it up.. meanwhile he wasn't walking without help. Tell me how can a barely talking, not walking infant be potty trained?

I have another in care right now that is 20 mos. His mom says he shows signs at home, asks to go pee and poo but meanwhile at my house he doesn't do anything of that. I think mom may be hoping he trains really soon as she's pregnant with #2.

Euphoric !
    I don't think 2 years or 3 years old is old enough to push hard for toilet training. By 4 years old they should be there, especially before school. But all children learn at different paces and I agree that it is the PARENT'S JOB, we are the assistants. And we definitely can't make the decisions, that's also the parent's job.

That is just it!!!! If THEY dont make the effort at home, you are wasting your time making the effort there. you know what though? kids are really smart, just keep telling him to ask mom and dad at home and he can bug them until they do it!!

wow toregone, you may want to send that one in to the gynes book of world records, "potty training before walking" thats freekin amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!
    20 mo. is def more believable. My daughter was trained at 23 months, with alot of reminding and assistance from me and grama. and my son was almost 2.5 yrs old. All my kids in the daycare have been before 3 if I have trained with help from parents. I did have the one who started with me 3.5 yrs old and wasnt trained until almost 4.5 but IMO it was because mom and dad didnt care either way. makes a dif when the parents could give a crud less, makes the kid not care also.

Shy
    as for early training...I had a friend who serioulsy sat her daughter on the potty (more like held her up on it) from 6 months until she could sit on it herself. She was fully trained by 15 months. It was rediculous. Not the norm obviously and I couldn't actually believe she would go pee and poo at that age on the toilet but sure enough I saw it with my own two eyes. I have never and will never tell a daycare family that one or come a year and a half I will have kids showing up in undies LOL

Euphoric !
    It's funny when I hear people talking about the age for potty training. All of my kids - well except for my special needs child who is still not trained at 19 years old and likely never will be - but all were trained by 2 and that was the norm back then. Yes starting to use the potty chair on your first birthday was normal. Disposable diapers stopped at size 4 - there was no need for anything bigger and pullups or night diapers didn't exist. Very few kids were not trained. But then kids ate earlier, used cups, used utensils, chewed food, etc a lot earlier too.

Totally get you playfelt: that in my opinion is the sign of where our world is headed. I dont think there is anything wrong with pushing a child a little to use the pot. I did with mine and they are not scarred. as a matter of fact, it just opened the door to all kinds of independence for them. When they accomplish keeping dry and going potty at their own command on a toilet, they have an attitude of "i can do anything" it is amazing. all they have to do is reach that "level: of intelligence which most children hit before two years. kids are ALOT smarter than alot of people give them credit for. So many people have such a laid back approach. JMO: if you wait for a child to tell you they are ready for something: you are giving them all the control (not good) you are teaching them to be lazy (not good) and you are not encouraging them to do things to their potential (not good).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by DCP_But_Momma_1st View Post
    I had a friend who serioulsy sat her daughter on the potty (more like held her up on it) from 6 months until she could sit on it herself. She was fully trained by 15 months. It was rediculous. Not the norm obviously and I couldn't actually believe she would go pee and poo at that age on the toilet but sure enough I saw it with my own two eyes.
    ditto! me too!
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    It's funny when I hear people talking about the age for potty training. All of my kids - well except for my special needs child who is still not trained at 19 years old and likely never will be - but all were trained by 2 and that was the norm back then. Yes starting to use the potty chair on your first birthday was normal. Disposable diapers stopped at size 4 - there was no need for anything bigger and pullups or night diapers didn't exist. Very few kids were not trained. But then kids ate earlier, used cups, used utensils, chewed food, etc a lot earlier too.
    I think I'm the age of you kids (if I remember correctly from the "kids" post) but my mom says the same thing. I was fully potty trained buy the time my 3rd cousin was born and I turned 2 in March she was born in May....they started us at 1....AND the pottys "back then" according to my mom had a tray type thing that would hold the child in! LOL I was shocked!

I asked "so mom you'd lock me into a poty and I had no choice but to learn?" she replies "you better believe it"! I get comments from both familes that DD is 2.5 and not trained yet. She was doing great when we tried a few months back (she wanted to copy the other dc children) but after doing very well she regressed.....I decided to wait for more SIGNS that she's ready. We focused on 'big girl bed' instead which she did amazingly....no rails right away and 2 months in no fall offs!

NOW - in the last 2 weeks she's been telling me when's she's peed and has woken up from overnight bone dry....also whenever we're home (with no distractions) she'll tell me when she has poop.. LISTEN to this..she last night (3 time in 2 weeks) went on her own to go get her change mat, wipes case & diaper, brought it to me and said "mamma poo-poo". I didn't even know she "went". So.....I think we may try again soon.
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!