Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    It's funny when I hear people talking about the age for potty training. All of my kids - well except for my special needs child who is still not trained at 19 years old and likely never will be - but all were trained by 2 and that was the norm back then. Yes starting to use the potty chair on your first birthday was normal. Disposable diapers stopped at size 4 - there was no need for anything bigger and pullups or night diapers didn't exist. Very few kids were not trained. But then kids ate earlier, used cups, used utensils, chewed food, etc a lot earlier too.
    I totally agree. I am kind of old fashioned when it comes to raising my son. He is "expected" to do things a lot younger than some other kids I know. He is 13 months and uses a spoon and a fork, he was eating finger foods at 8 months, and 100% feeding himself (minus pureed foods like yogurt and apple sauce) by the time he was 10 months and I WILL have him potty trained by the time he is 2, if not earlier. IMO a 3 year old who is not potty trained is selfishness on the parents part (I know, I'm going to get sh*t for that). There is no reason why a child should not be trained as soon as possible. And I do believe in pushing. I believe in waiting until a child is ready, but a child doesn't know he or she is ready until they have been guided. They don't understand these things. When I sleep trained my son, it was A LOT of guidance and little bit of him being ready. And, I beleive that the sooner you do it, the more successful you will be. Once they get to 2.5-3, they know too much and are manipulative. They know that if they don't want to, there are ways to get out of it. At 2, they are eager to please. JMO. When a kid starts hiding in a corner to pee or poo (usually starts around 18 months-2) then it's time to start. I think kids these days are WAY over indulged and parents have really HIGH expectations (he'll let me know when he's ready). No he won't! Because he doesn't even know what you're expecting him to do! We need to go back to the way our parents were raised (minus the alcohol and emotional abuse that was "acceptable" back then lol). Again, JMO

Euphoric !
    If only that was possible. Every new crop of kids I get seems to get worse and worse. The last two years I have had to resort to punishments to convince kids to potty train before heading off to JK. They just didn't care. Parents were at their wits ends with potty training as well as a lot of other things. I just made life difficult for them till they figured out that using the potty was a lot less hassle than what I put them through if they didn't. It is crazy. Kids are more capable than we give them credit for and we do them a diservice when we hold them back. There is a difference between pushing when they aren't ready and a child just doing it because that is what they know is expected of them end of story kind of thing. Yes I would go back to the way care used to be and I have been doing this for 26 years so that is a lot of years to work with,lol.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post: