Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I agree with being careful on labeling children ~ there are so many 'syndromes' out there these days that it is easy to do but the fact remains that all children develop differently for sure ... the challenge with children's development is that much of it is based not only on life experience in your daycare but OUTSIDE of it as well so just because they get the same exposure 9 hours a day 5 days a week there is all the time at home after hours and on weekends and so forth affecting 'development' of that child as well as their little personality traits and learning styles which are all different as well ... so if a child has parents who are very verbal at home and talk to their child frequently and give commands and simple tasks right from infancy it goes to reason the child is going to be 'quicker' to develop this than a child whose parents do not 'talk' to the child all the time at home and instead of giving commands just pick the child up and 'remove' him from situations and so forth ... throw in that the second child whose parents are not 'supporting' learning these things at home is also a hands on learner with a stubborn personality trait ~ it might take him months longer to master at your program because of that 'inconsistency' between home and the program confusing him and making him frustrated with the expectations?

The Nippising Screening Tools are a useful tool for monitoring and identifying 'red flags' in a child's development ... if a child is lacking in 3 or more of the things on these basic checklists than there might be cause for concern regarding hearing, sight, speech and other developmental spectrum issues .....if you are not already doing these they are a great conversation starter with parents about 'I was doing the screening tool with all the children today and noticed that Billy has 4 no's for his age range ~ just wondering if he is mastering these things at home?' and see what the parent has to say than ... perhaps they are not offering the CHANCE to do it than you can discuss how these expectations are precursers for other developmental mastery so if they could be working on them at home it would be awesome ... if the child is 'mastering' this at home than it could be a 'environmental' learning style thing where the child is shy and cannot perform in the 'group' so to speak and so forth ... but at least the conversation is going and in a way that is looking to support the child 'forward' verses starting out saying you are concerned the kid has a 'problem'.

You can get the screening tools for free from this website ...

http://www.ndds.ca/language.php
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

ok first of all, no two kids are the same.
    second, MOST boys take longer to mature (includes following direction) than MOST girls
    third, maybe he has a little adhd or hyperactivity budding?
    I'm sure you do, but i would just stick to it with him, if you have to walk over to him and gently use your hands to guide his hands at picking up or getting those tasks done.
    He'll come around!

Euphoric !
    Lots of good opinions. I agree that boys sometimes take longer to do things than girls. My problem boy is really advanced verbally, but his annoying habits of not listening or socializing with the other children and just talking nonstop about his own little world makes all of us frustrated, even the other children. I'm not labelling him with any physical syndrome yet, but it would be nice if there were a real reason instead of the fact that he is just plain annoying and frustrating. It's horrible to say this about a little 20 month old child, but he is disrupting our entire days.

apples and bananas
    Oh thank goodness I'm not alone. LOL Just hearing your stories made me feel better about the whole thing!

Outgoing
    I have a boy in my care who does exactly what you're talking about. He was 2 in April. He is very behind in my opinion and I often wonder if there are underlying issues. He doesn't use a spoon to eat. Actually he barely even feeds himself at all. He doesn't listen when I ask him to stop running, come here, help clean up, NOTHING. He tends to keep to himself while playing and if we're doing circle time or something he has a hard time sitting still. If we are out and about, if I happen to let him out of the stroller (which is not often anymore) he runs away from me and doesn't listen when I call him back. I believe some of it has to do with his home life but I still think about other things. I haven't really read up on many things as I'm not a doctor and don't want to improperly diagnose him. It's also something that I can't see bringing up with the parents until I'm positive there's something more to his 'problems.' It's just tough when I see other kids who are younger than him who listen and do things so much better than he does.

Outgoing
    The Nipissing Screening Tools from the above mentioned site only seem to be free to residents of Ontario. I've searched for others (I'm in Alberta) but am having no luck. Is it possible to get a copy of this from elsewhere, that anyone knows of ???

jec
    I really believe that labels are put on children too quickly without looking at the entire picture of that child's life. My friend I was mentioning before has a son with ADHD, Austism and her youngest now with a speech delay and all are getting help/funding through the goverment.
    Yes, when a child has a label ~ as my friend and I chat about, they get funding and some help they need but my point and thought is, yes, some children do have these learning challanges and need the help but ~ so many could be just changing the simple things. Her oldest (since we don't know each other in person and or friends I can talk without you knowing who she really is ) is the one who controls the house...eats what ever he wants / when he wants and the junk food is crazy insane. My thinking it might have something to do with that, I could be wrong (that happens all the time ) just now he is on medication in my thought to help regulate the crap he eats and this medication is going to have an effect on his body for life.
    Now...it's not my place to say this to my friend as she will no longer be my friend. I do comment about eating right but her answer- you listen to 3 screaming kids at you all day for food and you'll give them what they want too.

Only from my own friends, as I have a few of them, with kids on medication for different types of spectrum and or learning challanges-they all seem to have horrible diets! Just a thought. Just seems now a days, Doctors are giving out lots of medications and the drug companies are just getting richer.

OK rant over, just had to get it out

Euphoric !
    Do you all think it is our place to tell parents if we see that their child is not progressing like other kids their age? I grapple with whether or not this is a good idea or not. Parents can get very defensive adn then also I wouldn't want to make them worry for nothing if the child is fine. On the other hand, if there is a problem, I may notice it earlier because I see the child next to others his/her age. Thoughts??

jec
    I think choosing your words is key!
    If there is something that you feel needs to be addressed- approach it differently. Not so much as a possible learning problem but that you want to bring to their attention a behavior that you want to work together on with them.
    eg. Not listening to commands sit, come here- they can say it's a normal kid/toddler response but then say he/she isn't looking at you when you get down to his level and these are requests that he/she has to listen to as the rest of the kids do...yes they are a toddler but it's our job to teach them life skills ~ ask how they handle it at home and tell them that you want to brain storm on ideas on how to correct it. When it isn't happening...might open their eyes if in fact the little one is having a genuine, not just a toddler, problem. ???
    No parents want to hear that their child is anything but normal.

Quote Originally Posted by mlc1982 View Post
    The Nipissing Screening Tools from the above mentioned site only seem to be free to residents of Ontario. I've searched for others (I'm in Alberta) but am having no luck. Is it possible to get a copy of this from elsewhere, that anyone knows of ???
    If you PM your email address I can send them to you in PDF format for your reference
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post: