Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Teething - vent!

I just wanna vent. My 13 month old son is getting his molars AND canines at the same time! ALLLLLLL day he's been WHINING and trying to climb me, wants to be picked up and put down and held, but not held. UGH. I know he's in pain and I'm trying to be really supportive, orajel and advil and a soother and cuddles and a toothbrush to chew on but holy moly macarroni!! I feel like I'm gonna go crazy!!!

Euphoric !
    That is no fun My only advice is try not to play it up too much...I mean I know it can be painful, but kidsa also learn what gets attention. I can't tell you how many times parents have told me their child is miserable due to teething, but at my house they are totallt normal...the teething doesn't disappear, but they know it doesn't get a lot of extra attention here. My own kids showed minimal symptoms of teething...I know each kid feels pain differently, but I also believe that the moer we give them attention for it the more we send the message that they SHOULD be miserable...just like how they wait for our reaction after a fall before the cry. Hope the teeth come through fast!

I hear ya ~ I often tease that teeth should be like play doh head hair ~ you should be able to turn a crank and have them all pop up!

Have you ever tried the Camilla for his teething discomfort? I have seen that work wonders at helping a child be able to put the pain aside and focus on having some fun?

BTW I agree Kanageroomama ... I know this is going to sound unsympathetic but I have been known to tell older children (not wee babes) whose parents buy into and excuses the 'behaviour' that comes with being under the weather for whatever reason that 'I am really sorry your teeth are hurting or you've got growing pains or you were up all night with your cold but it is no excuse for behaving like this ~ be nice, be friendly and go play and if that is really to hard for you that's ok than just go lay down and rest your body by yourself until you are feeling better because THIS behavior is not a socially acceptable option They always miraculous feel 'better' and run off to play rather than the option of going to lay down and rest if they are really 'that uncomfortable that they need to whine and cry and carry on'

Not that I am not willing to cuddle a child who truly just needs a few moments of comfort to feel better or kiss a boo boo when they fall or anything if it helps them 'bounce back quickly' but the prolonged milking of something ~ not going to fly here cause the fact is that we ALL have things like this going on internally and we have to just learn to suck it up and put on a smile and go on about our day focusing on the GOOD instead otherwise the bad will just always keep you down!

It is the same as the reaction of an adult to 'falling / injury' has direct bearing on the resilience of the child to said fall or injury .... so many times you see a child go down and than LOOK for is anyone watching and what is the reaction and if there is none they get up and keep going but if the adult does the big ole GASP of anticipation of pain at the time of the fall than the child melts down into a pile of goo because it gets them that 'extra special attention' that well lets face it all humans tend to love
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Starting to feel at home...
    I have a little one who is teething right now too--he's alright during most of the day, but screams at naptime. I've heard that it's more painful when they're lying down for some reason. It's hard to see them in pain, that's for sure.

Shy
    My oldest was wonderful teething. A few wake ups in the night and in the morning BAM there was a tooth. My youngest was HORRIBLE. Cranky, annoying, clingly. I couldn't take it. I bought an amber teething necklace off of Etsy and I found it really helped. I also used Camilla and when needed I absolutely dosed with tylenol. We made it through but definitely not as easy as the first one.

Euphoric !
    About the only encouraging words I can offer is that if they all come in at once you will only have to go through it once instead of tooth by tooth.

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    Hylands Teething Tablets. I swore by these when my son was teething. They worked like a charm.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroomama View Post
    That is no fun My only advice is try not to play it up too much...I mean I know it can be painful, but kidsa also learn what gets attention. I can't tell you how many times parents have told me their child is miserable due to teething, but at my house they are totallt normal...the teething doesn't disappear, but they know it doesn't get a lot of extra attention here. My own kids showed minimal symptoms of teething...I know each kid feels pain differently, but I also believe that the moer we give them attention for it the more we send the message that they SHOULD be miserable...just like how they wait for our reaction after a fall before the cry. Hope the teeth come through fast!
    I totally agree with you. I can see 2 canines and feel 2 molars just hitting the surface, so I know they're coming. I have been extra cuddly but I also know where to draw the line. In the afternoon, when he kept trying to climb me, as difficult as it was, I would just look away and not touch him. After a few seconds, he would walk away but then he would come back. When I actually did pick him up after that, he would rest his head on my chest (which is NOT normal. He's not a snuggle bug) so I knew it was bad. But it was like he knew that I would only pick him up if I wanted to, so he would make it count. It was just the CONSTANT whining that I couldn't handle. I'd given him advil at 2, and at 5 he was screaming. So I gave him some orajel, but the ENTIRE time I cooked supper, he was whining and whining. I was trying to ignore it, but it sunk into my nerves and I got in a bad mood. Not to mention, my supper sucked lol and I'd been looking forward to it all day.

He was an amazing teether initially. Never cried. The only way I knew he was teething was bc his nose would run and he would suck on his fingers a lot. But these molars - holy cow!! And on top of that, one my dcks is getting all his canines too. So, suffice it to say, my floors are pretty wet with drool lmao

Thanks for all the suggestions! Luckily, it's not affecting his sleep but his days are miserable. I am going to try all you guys said. Freezies also seem to work well

Euphoric !
    Instead of freezies - a frozen wash cloth usually works too. The rougher the textrue of the cloth the better. Fold in half and then fold a couple more times soak, squeeze and then freeze - well chill well. Some will be fine with it just chilled in the fridge and others want it colder than that. The advantage is you can keep several chilling and refresh the cloth for the child as it warms. He will get where he will go to the fridge and ask for another one. Just remember to put the first one back in or make sure you have a steady supply chilling. The advantage is no juice/calories involved and other kids rarely want one too.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Did you try Camilia? I read an article that the Hyland's teething tablets were recalled a few years back because there were too many barbituates in them. Just saying. Be careful even with natural remedies that are still actually medicine. I agree with playfelt to try a frozen washcloth or other kinds of soothing things that you can freeze and let him chew on. Check the pharmacy.