Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Apartment woes

Starting to feel at home...

Apartment woes

I get a lot of emails/phone calls inquiring about childcare. I also get a lot of "Ohhh...you're in an apartment???" It drives me nuts. I explain that we use the park up the street every day for outside time, because it seems that the main concern for most people is where are their kids going to play outside. But I often don't hear back from the people who have initially expressed concern about the fact that I'm in an apartment. Is there anything I can DO about this?

Do you have a website? I would post a whole bunch of photos of your crew engaged in 'outdoor play' at your local park or other community venues and how you bring things to the park to 'explore' and so forth cause a photo really is worth a 1000 words ... it is one thing to 'tell' parents that we do something but when they can SEE how that looks and works they are more likely to believe it and come check you out in person!

I have peers who are in condos or apartments without 'fenced yards' and they have no trouble getting clients and most of them are full with waiting lists ~ however they do the above show lots of ways that they make their environment WORK to provide children everything they need just like backyard can!

Plus I will tell ya a secret ~ I have a house with a fenced backyard and we rarely use it for 'physical gross motor play' it is basically more set up like an 'indoor classroom' with sensory stations, dramatic play and so forth cause it is small and not alot of room for climbers and swings and so forth ... the community just has so much more to offer than my lil ole yard can so in the morning we always go to a local park somewhere so A) they can get more varied gross motor options depending on the park we choose and B) they can play and explore with other children which helps when you have one who does not have a peer close in your own group and C) it allows ME to meet up with other adults and get a little grown up social skill development even if we do not have time to 'chat' just being at the park with another human for support if you NEED IT is nice

I would not look at not having a 'backyard' as a deterrent ~ you just need to work at SELLING how you are able to meet the perceived needs having a backyard does in clients
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

I agree I post photos of children engaged outdoors, even on my 200 square foot patio. and I am full. As full as I wanna be that is.

Euphoric !
    Starshine, I live in a big apartment in an old house near downtown in my city and there is no yard, just a little triangle of grass in one corner of the parking lot where I have set up play equipment. We only go there when we can only be outside for a short time. It's much better in the winter because it's a great place to build forts and have the children play in the snow. Also we are less mobile in the winter.

But spring, summer & fall we are on the bus or walking to the library, parks, splashpads, you name it. My little guys are pros on the bus after a couple of years and I use the backpacks with ropes attached to me for the small walkers so they are very safe.

When people contact me for an interview I make sure they understand that I share my home with the daycare and I don't have a dedicated space but that it is as large as most basement spaces that are used as dedicated rooms I've ever run across. I always tell them about our travelling and variety and that I think it is great exercise getting to a place as well as the fun of being somewhere different. We are never in the same place twice in a week this way. And I teach as we travel, playing I spy games and stopping to look at gardens, all kinds of things.

Make sure you have tons of pictures on your website of all the places you can visit with pics of your little ones having fun. And like I said, weed them out before you waste your time interviewing. I have really learned over the past years to stress all my positives and refute their negative ideas whenever I can, but I don't waste my time with the 'snobs'. If they want a dedicated daycare room, they don't want me and I don't want them. Be proud of all the things you offer and don't worry about the families you DO NOT want!

P.S. If you send me a pm I'll tell you my website and you can have a peek.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I do have a website, but I don't have too many pictures up yet. I will definitely snap some shots of the kids playing outside and put them up!

Euphoric !
    Just make sure you have their parents' permission if you are going to post pics of the kids! I post pics, but I don't have the kids faces showing, so it is mostly hands doing something or feet walking, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Starshine View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I do have a website, but I don't have too many pictures up yet. I will definitely snap some shots of the kids playing outside and put them up!

Quote Originally Posted by kangaroomama View Post
    Just make sure you have their parents' permission if you are going to post pics of the kids! I post pics, but I don't have the kids faces showing, so it is mostly hands doing something or feet walking, etc.
    Oh absolutely, I already have all of the parents permission!

Euphoric !
    I also get parents to sign a picture permission form when they sign the contracts. Then I don't have to worry if their faces are showing. But my form states that I will only use the pics on my website and in my advertising.

jec
    Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    I also get parents to sign a picture permission form when they sign the contracts. Then I don't have to worry if their faces are showing. But my form states that I will only use the pics on my website and in my advertising.
    For myself I don't post pics of the kids on my website but I'm like you Momof4, I have eveything on a form/signed and in a folder. I do take pics of the kids for the parents and do a newsletter as well but, from my last job in an office ~ it's carried over to my daycare. I document everything and have they sign everything

For your website, what about addressing the apartment 'issue' that people seem to have?? What do you think ladies?? Have a paragraph talking about it- just off the top of my head saying 'Oh you live in an apartment' , let me take away your concerns and tell you the benefits!!
    - use of local parks that we visit daily ( put in your pictures )
    -use of party room for kids special events (birthday parties/Christmas parties) *does it cost you to use the room, I'm only thinking it doesn't from my husband's grandparents don't pay for theirs? Again it doesn't cost you much to have a party to decorate with the dollar store decals you save for parties etc????
    -address the issue that I think most parents have of if there is a fire- the building/fire deptartment is aware of the daycare- the building has alarms throughout and put together your fire plan. Go to sparky.org and print off a fire plan and put one together????? Letting them know you have a plan and how to get them out will ease their mind that you have thought of everything?

Address your personality and apeal to the reason that most come to home daycare in my option, they want an environment that is loving and more home like than a center.

Just some quick thoughts before my tea but with the help of these ladies, I'm sure we can all help
    Last edited by jec; 08-16-2012 at 05:49 AM.

Euphoric !
    You are right jec, I have put that on my website that I live in a large 2 story apartment so they know it isn't small. My time is valuable so if somebody wants a gorgeous house with a big yard they know right away they don't want me. It's all about attracting YOUR clientelle and finding YOUR niche. For me, it's the grandmotherly loving and experience with crafting from Scouting/Guiding with my own children and the places we travel almost daily. It's all right there in pictures on my website. Jec is right about making sure your personality is apparent on your website too.