Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    The other problem that could be coming up is that there are very few companies that will do the house rider so unless your insurance is with State Farm or Cooperators and I think someone has mentioned Pilot before then that may be where your issues are. Other companies do not insure home daycare and have turned you over to their business department. Allstate will only insure for three.

Yes getting clarification of the fee is important. Not sure the insurance agency can tell you how much you can charge your clients that doesn't seem like any of their business. And I am sure the rate quoted is not per day although for a larger daycare centre maybe it is $6 day per child would be $30 a day. But that is not the kind of insurance you are looking for.

Outgoing
    Thanks playfelt. I think the $30 was per YEAR per child, but I've emailed her to clarify.

Starting to feel at home...
    Hi there, sorry to hear that you're having some adventures - very stressful I'm sure. =) When I first started my home daycare I was covered by my already existing homeowners insurance policy. My insurance company was Allstate. I notified them that I would be running a daycare from my home, and I opted to increase my liability coverage from 1 million to 2 million. It was an annual increase of 10 dollars - negligable and it bought me major peace of mind. =) Once my business grew and I wanted to care for more children (under Allstate I was only allowed to care for three daycare babies) I had to find a new provider. I ultimately wound up choosing State Farm, and my annual premiums are (roughly) 600 dollars more per year than I would pay if I was just a regular homeowner. So I really need to make sure that I always have four, full time kids - otherwise it's tough to justify the extra expense. Neither Allstate or State Farm asked what I was billing parents for childcare - and I'm not sure why you're being asked that question. Did anyone explain why they need to know this information ? Hope this post helps somewhat, and good luck with everything ! =)

Dianne - whose home is this going to be operating out of??? Cause you might want to clarify with Ministry Education regarding your daughter being able to not count her own children if she is basically working in your program - cause techically it would be YOUR own children who do not count as it is your premise and you???

I know peers who've hired someone to cover mat leave and during the leave since she was not always present cause she was with the new babie her old child had to be counted "in ratio" as one of the 5 because for the filling in provider it was not "her child".

The rules are stupid are this 5 plus you own - cause the above scenario is a prime example of what difference does it make cause that program runs "fine" when it is the mother provider with 7 children - 5 daycare plus her two own but hiring help means she can only have 5 total in attendance cause the hired provider has to count all the kids
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Hi Inspired,
    It will be operating out of my home. My granddaughter and the new baby do not count as my own, unfortunately, so they need to be counted as part of my 5 children UNLESS my daughter is on-site. She can be here with her own children, she just can't leave them with me. I have reserved a spot for my granddaughter until the spring. After that, I have 3 days a week with an extra spot (so only 4 children those days) so that I can take either my granddaughter or the baby for some time those days if my daughter cannot be here. I was very careful to check that out since my prime motivation is to be with my grandchildren, and I want to be sure there is a spot for at least one of them on days my daughter may have appointments. Most days she will be here once she is on mat leave, and if she stays home with her newborn, I do have a spot for my granddaughter until the baby is 4 months old. If I am ill and she needs to run the daycare on her own, I would still be here (just stuck in my bedroom moaning and whining and drinking chicken soup....)
    I do appreciate the input though!!!! I have gained such wisdom from this forum, not sure how to express my thanks except to become an awesome provider and turn around and advise the newbies once I'm more experienced!

Sounds awesome Diane ~ basically your business plan is to have 4 'daycare kids' plus a grandchild in there ... than if your daughter is there helping your daughter will have 4 daycare children plus her own 2 kids ... and if she is not there she will always have '1' child with her for you ... sounds like a fair plan for sure and a win win for everyone to have some income coming in on top of your additional businesses to tag team each other off on.

I did some googling just for my own curiosity on and all I could find about providers offering care at someone 'elses' premise was info about play dates on both the ASKY and the CPRRN website and both just stated that unregulated providers can meet at each others houses and do not have to count their own as long as the total 'daycare children' on the private premise do not exceed 5 ... again another illogical rule cause it is ok to meet at a 'public park' with 10 daycare children and two adults plus however many of their 'own' might be in tow ... but it is not in your fenced in backyard where you have access to a land line, toilet, running water and other emergency help if need be?
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    Thanks Inspired. You are confirming what I found. Two daycare providers can meet at each other's homes as long as the total is no more than 5 children plus their own. I've had to come to terms with the fact that my beloved granddaughter does not count as my own LOL I agree the whole system is illogical... I can meet any number of dcp's and children at the local park, but in my own yard, which is safe and has a bathroom nearby, nope.... crazy.
    I realize from a pure income perspective, what we are doing is a bit strange, but the income is not the first priority for us. It's definitely second, and we want to make a profit, but this was a way for both of us to be with my grandkids, and each other. We are best friends, and love doing things together, and I think having two adults for the children will enable us to do some really fun things. Who knows, maybe my daughter will open her own daycare down the road and we'll both do this as a career, but for now, with her having two little ones of her own, she wants a part-time income that enables her to be with her own children, and so do I (want to be with her own children LOL).
    Diane

Yup ~ great thing about home childcare is that it can meet a wide range of priorities for sure and allow for a wide range of budget options ~ not everyone wants nor needs the income of FIVE children and routinely offers a program with 'low ratios' which is a selling feature to many clients!

Plus your daughter is 'saving' having to pay out $300 - 400 a week in childcare for 2 children which in reality is 'income in itself' in the guise of savings for their household
    Loris Malaguzzi

Shy

Insurance and total number of children?

Hi Ladies,
    Does your insurance say 5 kids including your own? Cause my insurance is up for renewal and they contacted me saying that the policy is 5 kids including my own child( which is very very stupid cause if something happens I wont be suing myself right? So why would my child be in the total number of children when rules say that I can have 5 children inmy care plus my own? Do any of you know of any i surance that does 5 kids excluding your own child?