Hi,
I start my daycare September 4th. I registered my business name, have my number for receipts, and my business bank account. I have deposited the families' cheques in that account.
In the meantime, my insurance agent has been trying to get me coverage. She told me today that I can't open a daycare in a business name unless I have an ECE certificate, and can only use my own name. My home policy will cover me for up to 5 children at $30 per day. I'm charging $35 a day and have signed contracts for that amount.

I'm sort of freaking out here, because I was careful to do everything in a very business-like manner. Do I have to go back to the parents now and tell them cheques have to be made out to me personally instead of my business, which will now have to close a month after it began? Do any of you use a business name for your daycare and have your insurance company cover you? Or do you all have ECE certificates? I'm so frustrated. No one has mentioned that you can't get coverage for running a home daycare unless you just use your own name... I set up a business account in order to issue receipts using my business number instead of my social insurance number, and because my daughter and I will be sharing the income. If the income all goes into my name, I'm just not sure how to avoid declaring the portion of the income that goes to her...

I would love to be able to give my insurance agent the name of an insurance company that will insure a home daycare that actually uses a business name rather that one's personal name. Or, if you do use your own name, how to avoid having to put your social insurance number on the receipt? I won't give out my social insurance number to anyone in order to avoid identity theft.

Thanks,
Diane