Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Should I let them know?

I have a dayhome and 3 assistants that work with me(not all at once!, one does all mornings and the other two alternate afternoons) So there are always two of us here with the children which we have a max of 8 on our busiest days (6 paying, two of my own)
    So Starting in September, my son will be going to preschool on tuesday and thursday mornings, and I am scheduling two of my assistants to be here until the afternoon so that I can drop him off and make sure that there are still two adults here. I also want to use this time to spend some one on one daughter time and sign her up for something as well that we can do together. So my question is, would you find it necessary to tell them? Or is it my business in how I'm running it? A part of me thinks I should, but another part of me thinks its up to me how I run it and so as long as there are two adults, both of which have been with us for a while who they know and trust as well, whether I should bother?

Outgoing
    As a parent I would want to know if you were planning on leaving the premise and leaving the children with your assistants. They are paying you, not your assistants, to watch the children. Have you ever left the children with the assistants only for any reason and have the parents' okay to do so?
    I would tell them just to cover your own butt in case something were to happen while you were away.

Yes, I would tell them also. I would want to be informed as a parent who is watching my child. What if they called to speak to you or came by to drop off a sweater and learned you weren't there no matter what the excuse? My dc parents have no problem with my husband watching kids while I have a medical app and I think they trust me more that I tell them.

Shy
    Absolutely tell them. I would be livid if my dcp did this without telling me. I cant really understand your hesitation to tell them anyways? If the parents know and trust your assistants then I don't see anyone having an issue. Not disclosing beforehand would seem shady to me as a parent.

Starting to feel at home...
    Thanks Ladies. I think I agree as well. Its just that I had sent a huge update email this month and forgot to include that so was wondering if I should hassle them again. But I agree. I'd rather everything be in the open so that there is no hesitant feelings on my part as well. I'd want to know if this was the case too, even if I was ok with it.

Ya ~ even in centre care when there was 'forehand knowledge' of a change in staff we always did our best to inform clients of it ~ it is not like you are 'asking permission' and they really have no 'say' in it cause it is your business and your choice and if having 'assistants' is a common part of your program than it should not come as a surprise to them to see a different face ~ informing them is just a common courtesy thing so that they are 'prepared' when they show up to a different face and so forth.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    Tell them. It is your business who you hire-however, it is fair that parents get to meet them and further, know when you will be out of the daycare

I would def tell them, as you concider you are co-raising these kids the road goes both ways. Wouldn't you expect to know ahead of time who may be dropping the child off or picking them up, although these people do work for you and have for a while all the kid sknow them and all the parents, I assume. so give the parents some notice on the changes and you should be good to go! It is your business ultimately so you can do whatever you choose, I always remember though: if I want respect, I have to give it first. I just think letting them know ahead of time would be respectful. I concider just the same as changing my hours, or policies. you should always inform parents of ANY changes in advance. Enjoy your kids!!! thats something, alot of people DON'T understand. Just because we stay home to work, we dont have all the time in the world to devote to our kids, sometimes it seems worse than working out of home, we are there with them but cant give them ALL the attention they deserve because the others need it too.