Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Grrr I'm so mad at myself...lesson learned! Plus, awkward situation.

So, before I officially started my home daycare business, I took on a couple of my daughter's school friends last summer for a couple days a week each while I was finishing up my mat leave with my son. It went great! Encouraged me to start up the business!

SO! The parents of one of the little girls I watched last summer approached me in the spring asking if I would have any room for her to come back for a couple days. I had a Wednesday an Friday opening between part timers so I said sure! I sent her all the paper work and since we were friends that know each other through our daughters, I told her it was fine to bring it on her first day in July. <---MY HUGE MISTAKE.
    Day 1- called to say she was going to a daycamp that day so she wasn't coming, but insisted she knew my policy and would pay for any missed days
    Day 2- Was going to cottage- don't worry we'll get you all paid up next week
    Week 3- my holidays
    Day 3- Mom's aunt passed away,going to funeral
    Day 4- Didn't bother to call saying why they weren't coming

I sent them an email, a text and made a phone call that went straight to voicemail. It took me almost a week to hear back from them wherein they "profusely apologized, they spent longer time out of town at funeral than expected and forgot to call. Wanted to give 2 weeks notice, apologies, apologies...we appreciate your time very much and are so sorry this didn't work out and of course we'll pay you for the missed time. How much do we owe you and we'll mail you a cheque asap, can we have your mailing address?"

I responded cordially, appreciating them getting back to me and expressing respect etc. Gave them the amount, then never heard back. 10 days after that exchange and after receiving nothing I sent a follow up email. Now it's day 14 since that exchange and still nothing, no response no cheque.

Assholes!!! These people were friends! Why did they even bother to send me the nice apology email, "we'll send you the cheque asap" if they were just going to ignore my response???? It's not even a large amount. I'm not stupid, I'll probably never see that money, especially since I had them bring the contract along "on their first day" which never happened, because there never was a first day! And what makes matters WORSE is that once the school year starts, I will see them in person frequently at school functions and at our daughters school functions.

Than you for letting me vent!!!! I HATE how little respect people can have for home daycare givers. It's horrible!

Questions: 1) Do you think I should pursue this further? If so, how? What do you say to light a fire under their butts?

2) How would you handle seeing them in public? They are the type to come up and start chatting like nothing happened...how would you respond to that???

I WOULD continue to treat them with respect and keep whatever friendship you had or at least be pleasant, dont let stupid stuff like money get you upset and angry with people. However...I WOULD inform them they do need to pay what is owed, maybe you could do that next time you see them and they approach you like nothing happened. Hi, how have you guys been? So sorry to hear about your Aunt's passing. OOOH, that reminds me, I never got your payment, did you forget to mail it in all the chaos? I'll send you a reminder email later this week if you happen to forget again. (smile) How have kids enjoyed their summer? (just pretend like you dont give a crap,but you still want you money)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    I think it's wonderful that you will see them frequently. It gives you ample opportunity to address the issue with them in person. " I never did recieve that cheque you were going to send me, I was concerned it got lost in the mail, but I couldn't get a hold of you? Is everything ok? " lol

Make her uncomfortable. You can be the nice person who was concerned that there was something wrong... and keep confronting her about it. At every event! Money is money no matter how big or little. Make sure she understands that you've not forgoten about it and don't intend to.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Lou

ask your accountant, but I think you can write this off as a loss.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Lou

Outgoing
    They just don't want to give you the money. They want enough time in between all these words and when they see or talk to you to have it be water under the bridge. If you sent them an email and said... "you know I was thinking that since she never ended up coming that you guys shouldn't have to pay for care you didn't receive" you would get an INSTANT response from them saying "oh thanks... we feel bad but we just couldn't come up with it" or something like that. If you don't give them those kinds of words they aren't going to communicate with you until they MUST.

You have learned that having your care as an option is what they were after. They had you on the hook in case they needed it and they got that consideration for free. Live and learn that words are free and money is money. Next time have them do money instead of words. The only words you need are written words where they agree to the money. Any other words will land you with a whole lot of heartache.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

9. The Following User Says Thank You to daycarewhisperer For This Useful Post:

Lou

Sad how you learn how people are really like. I agree with kidlove, just be friendly and keep bringing up payment. This lets them know that you are not forgetting their little "misdeed". At this point its more of a principal than the actual dollar amount.

Sadly, I learned this lessen as well, only it was with a friend I grew up with and went to school with. Over a few measly dollars...really people???

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post:

Lou

Of course, these types of people count on you to be "nice" and not the kind of person who rocks the boat etc. Business is business period. There are enough good people in the world who deserve your kindness and consideration. These people have shown that they are not above empty promises and non payments. Unless they have a very good reason financially for being evasive, I would be firm and stand up for yourself and your business. This may sound cynical, but I am that person who was naive and giving giving giving and "oh shucks, don't worry pay me when you can" and it was these types of people who showed me I needed to be stronger and stand up for myself and so do you.

Expansive...
    Oh yes, it's totally about the principle at this point and how they are handling it that makes me aggrevated!!! Love the tips, thanks ladies!

jec
    This is why I don't take friends or people who live on my street ~ I learned the hard way too

If your like me, this is weighing heavy on you. I think the ladies' advice is great. Just bring it up as Apples mentioned sound concerned. Acknowledge that it gets crazy in summer however could they send you the money by end of week. Either drop it off or email money transfer. Keeping it friendly and then also as a business expect payment by xxx date.
    Good luck. Let us know how it goes