Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...
    Sanitizing is good for removing things like bacteria rather than virus', IMO. If a child had impetigo or strep then the sanitizing is great for that because it can be caught over and over, rather than a virus that can only be caught once.

I do love TTO and vinegar! But, when I managed restaurants our legal standards were that cleaning could be done with those, but sanitizing must be with bleach, so that's why I do it.

What are the standards set for licensed providers regarding cleaning?
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    There is a difference between cleaning and disinfecting and not all solutions that "clean" do a strong enough job of disinfecting for what we are expected to do.
    I agree. There is a difference between cleaning and disinfecting, in my books. Unless my daycare has something contagious being spread (worse than a cold) I do not disinfect my daycare. Disinfecting means getting rid of the good germies and the bad germies and starting with a clean surface. Essentially, we need the good germies to help fight off the bad germies so this isn't always a good thing, imo.

Bleach, tea tree oil, dettol, vinegar are all cleaners but not disinfectants. They clean the surfaces and leave behind good germies.

I find in my network of friends, I am the only home daycare that does not use disinfectants in my home/daycare nor will I use antibacterials. Amazingly enough, my kids and I are the healthiest group out of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
    Amazingly enough, my kids and I are the healthiest group out of the bunch.
    This is soooo true! And Amazing!

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilys4Guppies View Post
    What are the standards set for licensed providers regarding cleaning?
    I don't know whether the standards vary from area to area, when I was with an agency we had to use either bleach and water or dettol and water or soap and water, which are recommended by the DNA. I haven't been with an agency in a long time so I am curious to know what agencies recommend as weel

Bleach DOES disinfect. It contains chlorine and kills germs/bacteria/virus'/ect.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

The daycare I used to work at uses a disinfectant that is called Percept. It is bought in Stittsville (can't remember the name of the company!). It was used to a ratio of 1:10 (i think?) with water.

Euphoric !
    I often wonder the same thing! My kids are all little, so they all put everything in their mouths and it is nearly impossible to wash things every time. I do clean surfaces and toys regularly, but often wonder if it is a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    There is a difference between cleaning and disinfecting and not all solutions that "clean" do a strong enough job of disinfecting for what we are expected to do.

On the other hand I wonder if we worry too much about the disinfecting to the point we waste our time since by the end of the day the kids have all touched and played with the same surfaces anyway transferring the germs amongst themselves. Which does explain why spending hours sanitizing doesn't always prevent the spread of colds and flu in the daycare just tires us out when we should have been taking care of ourselves all evening so can fight off the viruses too.

I too have a hard time constantly using bleach solutions as my clothes take a beating.
    I contacted the makers of Mr. Clean(they have a disinfecting solution) and they said that after trials with bleach and their cleaner that Mr Clean was just a good killing viruses and bacteria.
    Unfortunately, some of the more natural disinfecting solutions do not kill viruses and bacteria.
    I spray all the toys and carpet and couch with lysol spray every day after the children leave. Lysol is suppose to kill viruses and bacteria also.

The Lysol air freshener type thing horsegirl?

Bleach and percept are the only licensing approved disinfectants in my area, bleach gives me a headache and I'm not sure where to get percept.