Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I have to be honest here.

I worked in lic care for almost 3 years and the only staff member who did not smoke in all three centre's that I worked at was me. (Even the director smoked in some cases) Would you report a lic facility because they took a break for a smoke, leaving someone else in the charge of the kids?

Maybe she has a baby monitor and smokes during nap? If hubby isnt there?

Starting to feel at home...
    I think the parents are likely aware that she is a smoker. It's a rather difficult thing to cover up (smell, stained fingers/teeth). And if she smokes in her home, the parents would definitely know from the smell!

Outgoing
    While I think smoking is disgusting and unattractive, I do believe that if one chooses to pollute their lungs and end their life early, this is their personal decision. If she is not smoking around the children ie: in the house with the children, or directly beside the children, I really don't see why this is an issues - let alone report her. Should you really report her, risk her losing her business, over a cigarette? I don't think it's worth it. And I really don't think it's a big deal. Don't get me wrong, I hate smoking, if one of my parent smokes, they aren't allowed on my property with a cigarette, whether or not we're outside. But seeing as how this is the first time you've seen her smoking, maybe she was taking a stress releif while her husband took care of the kids. I highly doubt it's an issue.

Although I think smoking is a nasty and disgusting habit...alot of people do it. If they choose to harm their body that is their choice, nothing we can do about it. now if she was smoking in front of the children or blowing it in their face, well yuck!!!! and shame on her! we are to set a GOOD EXAMPLE for all the little ones we care for, however if I read correctly, the kids were in good care of someone else and she was around the corner out of their sight? well, I wouldnt say or do anything, at least she had enough decency to leave the view of the kids. Smokers have an addiction and unfortunately their body craves what they are addicted to. Not a whole lot you can do.

Euphoric !
    I think smoking is disgusting too, but I agree that it isn't a reportable offence. If the parents don't mind picking up their children stinking of cigarette smoke every day then it's up to them. I consider it child abuse when people smoke in the room with children and I wouldn't let my child be in that daycare but cigarette smoke makes me sick to my stomach if I just walk by one on the street.

Outgoing
    I think it is important to be careful what conclusions we jump to about others. When I first opened my daycare I was a smoker. I did NOT smoke at all during daycare hours even if it was naptime and I have never smoked indoors (always grossed me out even when I did smoke lol). But I remember feeling as though I couldn't smoke after work on my deck because a parent could be out for a walk and would pass judgement-and that's not really fair now is it? I don't smoke anymore and I generally try not draw conclusions on the character of others based on one action that may have been taken out of context.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daycare123 For This Useful Post:

When I interviewed my first child care provider for my son I had a ton of questions ready. Not one of them was "Do you smoke". Surprising as no one smokes in my family and it's really important to me to not expose my kids to the hazards of it. Driving by her house one month into care (this was during non daycare hours) & there she was on her front porch having a cigarette. I was really torn after that & actually did confront her on it in what I thought were polite, honest questions. She was really offended by that and things were just never the same after (2 months later I ended up opening my own home daycare). But I have to say that never once in that time did I smell smoke in her home, on her, on my child or see any evidence of it outside. I just feel bad that I should have asked the question in the first place.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~