Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Expansive...

What is the strangest interview question?

Today I was asked if the meat I used was kosher.. the family is not Jewish.

LOL that is good. I was once asked if I had any surgeries scheduled in the near future. When I asked why they wanted to know they said my recovery time would be an inconvience to them. I didn't give them a straight answer, finished the interview and did not accept them. I quess I must have looked like I was on the brink of some medical malfunction!!!!! BTW no surgeries have been scheduled

Outgoing
    When I first started out, I was interviewing for a 1 yr old girl. they asked me 'how often do you change a child's diaper". I said "ummm, when it is dirty?" LOL
    They had been around to other centres where they only change bums 3-4 times daily at schedules times and if they poop in between these 'diaper change times' they child would have to sit in it until the next time.
    Ive never heard something so silly.

Ya over the years I have heard all sorts of weird questions about people who just do not 'get' how home childcare works ... like the ones who want reassurance that the children are never out of your eye sight! Um ya nope ~ never ~ I just hold my bladder for 12 hours a day and if I really cannot hold it any longer I just bring all 5 children into the bathroom to watch me have my daily constitution cause what privacy we can turn it into a teachable moment Seriously we are ONE person so YES there are times in the day where we are going to be using 'other senses' to supervise the children like our 'ears' or a 'monitor' and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by KingstonMom View Post
    ....They had been around to other centres where they only change bums 3-4 times daily at schedules times and if they poop in between these 'diaper change times' they child would have to sit in it until the next time.
    Ive never heard something so silly.
    Oh good lord ... worked in centre care for over 15 years and never heard anything so silly myself ... yes they are required to a lot for 'washroom/diaper routines' into their posted schedule as part of licensing but it does not mean that if your kid goes 'outside' that time that they have to wait until the next 'scheduled' time frame.

Heck my home care routine has a slot of 'diaper checks and washroom routines' before morning snack, lunch and afternoon snack as well but if I am at the park and a kid poops their diaper I do not make them sit in it until we get home ~ I make sure I have packed diapers and wipes and I change them at the park and if the park does not have a 'bathroom' I bring a porta potty for training emergencies for kids in undies .... seriously is that not common sense? Who would make a child sit in a solid diaper for 2 1/2 hours because they pooped 20 minutes past the 'scheduled' bathroom time?

My guess is that they READ a centre's posted schedule and ASSUMED that cause it was written on the schedule to due washroom / diaper / handwashing before morning snack, lunch and pm snack that that was the ONLY time it was done

While I know that there are some 'whacky' things done in centres to cut corners and in the name of 'making their day easy' if there are actually centres out there who would make a child sit in a solid diaper until the 'scheduled' diaper change .... well WOW cause you gotta love literal thinkers who lack common sense!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

jec
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaof4 View Post
    Today I was asked if the meat I used was kosher.. the family is not Jewish.
    That is odd...did you ask why?
    Does that meat have something to do with the way it is treated while alive and killed???
    For myself, we buy local meats for that reason, the animals are not living in horrible confined spaces and or treated poor ~ and killed humainly. We do it for ethical reasons. Maybe that's why???

Outgoing
    I had a women ask me if we would be removing the "hazard" that is our stairs. She wasnt comfortable with her 18 month old going up and down stairs. I thought she was joking at first!

Quote Originally Posted by akpayne View Post
    I had a women ask me if we would be removing the "hazard" that is our stairs. She wasn't comfortable with her 18 month old going up and down stairs. I thought she was joking at first!
    LMAO ~ she would not like it here than cause I teach them to master the stairs as soon as they can crawl ... I have 11 month olds who go up and down the stairs independently
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    Someone once asked me...

"How do you go to the bathroom? " To which I replied...

"how do YOU go to the bathroom?" LOL

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    LMAO ~ she would not like it here than cause I teach them to master the stairs as soon as they can crawl ... I have 11 month olds who go up and down the stairs independently
    Reggio, I just kinda of looked at her because I seriously thought it was a joke! She had all kinds of wierd phobias...didnt want her daughter to go down the slide, didnt want her running etc I cut that interview short pretty quick- no thank you!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by apples and bananas View Post
    Someone once asked me...

"How do you go to the bathroom? " To which I replied...

"how do YOU go to the bathroom?" LOL
    Quick thinking!