Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Anyone charge full fees for before/after care?

I currently do not and have not offered before and after school care because I don't want that child to take up a full space and my income to be limited. however, I am moving and I have 4 spaces to full now and I just had someone contact me from the school my son will be attending, looking for before and after care for two children. At first I was just going to say no, but then thought if she would be willing to pay for the full space...why not? Has anyone heard of anyone charging parents for a full day fees for before and after care?

Hmm! If you can find someone willing to pay full for that little amount of time? Go for it. The only time I have done before and/or after care was IF it didnt interfere with my regular schedule. ex.: 1 child leaves at 3:30 and another gets off the bus at 4pm. You dont even want to ask what I charge for before after care...you'd choke!!! very little!

Outgoing
    I haven't considered doing B&A care, but I assumed it would be the regular fee since it takes up a full spot, PLUS school age children eat so much and would want more expensive craft materials/activities. I still don't think I'd want to do it. Once they hit the playground, they often learn some really bad habits, and I would not want them to bring them into my daycare. I wouldn't want to explain to my parents of toddlers where there children learned some of the words I hear from 7 year olds... yes, I did teach elementary school for 4 years... did not enjoy it.... too many children with no respect for teachers. I still remember asking a child in Grade 6 (about 11) to turn around (she had her back to me with her feet on the child's desk behind her) and she said, "Make me!" I almost died. Of course, I couldn't make her since I wasn't allowed to touch her, and I couldn't even say anything that would upset her. I called the principal, who invited her to hang out with him, but he was a cool guy, so that was hardly a punishment of any kind. I don't imagine pre-schoolers can ever be as rude as some school-age kids, but I guess I'll find out soon LOL!

I have never 'done it' cause I personally do not enjoy that age group and am usually happy to see them heading off to full day school and fly the nest so to speak .... but if I WERE to do it if the right family came alone that I could manage working with that age group and not want to hang myself at the end of the day ~ than full fees would be the only way I would consider it for all the reasons you have stated ~ the child is taking up a full time space specially if they want or need PD care, March break and summer care as well ad well for ME the age group is a PITA with the attitude and stages of pushing for autonomy (aka I know more about the world than you do) and bullying (do what I want or I wont be your friend) and all the other stuff they go through during those charming years and I would want to be well compensated for having to work with that age group daily
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    Thanks everyone...yes, I am not sure if I want to do it either...I do realize that the older kids can pose challenges and I would probably dread PD days and school holidays...but for the right family and the right hours, I would consider it if they pay be full fees because I am already going to be dropping off and picking up my own son at the same bus stop. I think the only thing appealing to me about it (aside from filling my spots) is that I would then have a lighter load during the day and be able to do more outings and have some peace and quiet. Well, if they are interested I will take it from there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I've always charged exactly half for that age group, moving to full pay on holidays, etc. Yup, it's a loss, however, I think the fees will go up over the next number of years, judging by the number of people who won't do it due to financial loss. I'm looking at it as a pre-retirement gig.....people are still going to need before and after care, regardless of people wanting to offer it. Maybe then, rates can go up, making it feasible for us to take them

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    The fact you are already going to the bus stop makes a difference in the sense of it isn't adding anything to your workload so to speak.

One thing you could do is make it a school year contract with the idea of not having them next summer and that gives you ten months to refill the spaces. There are plenty of summer camps for school age.

If you charged $5 less than your full rate that would compensate for not having to pay for their lunch except on PD type days.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    The demand is high for this service in Ottawa as there aren't enough people willing to do it. This is clear from the fact that this parent has responded to my ad in which I did not advertise before/after care and it is only a week until the kids start school (French school)!

Euphoric !
    If you do it protect yourself by charging by the month in advance non-refundable. It is very common this time of year for parents to be on the wait list for the school based daycare or local daycare centre type program but when it comes down to the wire they find a home daycare. But the instant they get a place in that other program and it does happen that opening come up between now and thanksgiving they are gone. Which is fine if calls for care have stopped but very annoying if you have turned down some full time infants since school started. But at least charging in advance/non refundable with paid notice required protects you.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If you are willing to take the school kids there is also the option to advertise for part time care such as a mom on mat leave that wants the older child in care a couple days a week or someone who works from home. They would be able to work within a 9 am drop off and 3pm pick up or whatever you need and also work around PD days. The end result is it would be like getting paid double for the space. Priority for space of course goes to the school kids but again the mom at home is flexible. And come next year you have a better chance of getting both of those kids into care when mat leave is over.