Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Child with hearing aid

My little 2 1/2 year old DCG girl is returning to me tomorrow after the summer off. We knew there were some issues with hearing and over the summer she's been tested and has been given hearing aids. I'm going over to their house tonight for a little lesson in hearing aids as I've never dealt with them. Has anyone had a child with one? My concern, actually is other children (or her) trying to pull them out (I can envision someone chomping down on one!). Her type has a string attached to each that clips to her shirt (so that if they get pulled out, they don't get lost)...and, I'm pretty sure some little one is going to be pulling on the string.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Yes ~ I have worked with children with hearing aids and children are definitely naturally curious and will ask or want to look at them ... like any special need I would just teach them to respect them as they are not toys but tools to help their friend hear better and would likely ask the child if she would like to 'show her friends' like a show and share lesson where we go over the rules for keeping them safe and supporting her all at once with the kids or if she wants to field questions as they arise from peers.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    The only person I know with hearing aids is my Mom! You can't even see them and they hook over her ear. But she did mention to me that sometimes when she takes her glasses off they will get hooked on and pull off. I told her I was going to give her some glue dots to hold them onto her ears, hehe.

If the little girls hearing aids are almost invisible like my Mom's the other children probably won't even notice them. But I would be afraid they would get lost in the grass and we would never find them again because they are so small. So ask the parents lots of questions and I'm really happy they are going to give you a 'lesson' so you know how to handle all the situations. I'm sure everything will be fine.

You could just set the kids down when she first comes back and have a little (age appropriate) chat with all of them regarding the new change. I would guess you would have to keep your eyes on her and the others for the first little while to make sure nothing happens, and of course if it does?....address it right away! No_______ we dont touch_________'s ears, just look if you are curious.

Well, so far I really needn't have worried. I made sure to sit everyone down at a circle time once everyone arrived and show what cool new things ___ has! And how they help her hear even better, that we mustn't touch the ear things or the string so we can all help Kori hear better. They all had a look and quickly wanted to get back to the felt story. They haven't bothered since around her ears. I love at about kids; back to playing as usual. I do notice a big negative behaviour change in her over the summer...you can tell that she's not been in any kind of setting where she's had to share over the summer and is now miss Drama Queen. Could be her age but also, I would suspect she has been rather coddled (understandable). So, I think it's going to be a good thing for her to get back into our structure.

~Anonymous~

Expansive...
    I have a daughter with hearing helpers- hers are glittery and pink. Other kids were curious but not mean

Quote Originally Posted by mamaof4 View Post
    I have a daughter with hearing helpers- hers are glittery and pink. Other kids were curious but not mean
    . "hearing helpers". Love it! I couldn't think of what to call them.

~Anonymous~