Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Crying at nap time

How do you handle it?
    I have a screamer, its so disruptive and stressful! In general they are happy and playful, but as soon as they are put into a playpen they scream bloody murder.
    Parents say its normal and they do it at home, but wow, it stresses me out! Makes me thankful for how easy my kiddo is for naps!
    They are only 13 months old and new to daycare, so I understand there is an adjustment factor. What I wasn't expecting was the overwhelming feeling of not wanting to provide daycare any more because of it!
    So far we've tried, holding, back rubbing, sitting in the room, not sitting in the room, there is music playing all the time and they have their stuffy.
    Tips? I am really feeling the stress today!

ok! what do parents do at home, just lay the child down and leave? how long does the child cry? I would just lay the child down and let them cry for a bit, if you give in they will learn how to get you to do what they want, if you make them handle it on their own...they will slowly grasp the fact that you are NOT coming to give them what they want and eventually you will have a child who lays down and goes to sleep upon hitting the crib mat, you just nee dto train the child. The child sounds young and if this is a new place, the crying is to be expected, just take a step back and allow the child to get used to your way of doing things, nothing wrong with crying, (unless it goes too long) Thats training! in a week or two, the baby should have it down pat....just dont give in!!!!!!!

and make sure you are on the same page as parents at home, you can get very little accomplished especially in that area IF the parent doesnt do the same at home!

From what I understand the parents do the same thing at home. I am not sure how long is too long, but today it lasted from start to finish almost 20 mins, they got worked up and then slowly winded themselves down. I know it will take time to adjust, I make sure the TV and radio are off so I can hear them just in case. I am keeping my fingers crossed it will eventually stop because this being a regular thing is not going to be fun especially if I decide to add another child.

Outgoing
    When they are new to daycare and have a diffcult time to adjust I go see them every 5 then 10 then 15 minutes tell them they are ok and that it is time for nap. I never take them out and touch, rub or whater. They stay in the playpen for the whole 2 hours . After a week if it continues or if it is a child that is suddenly breakings naps or in a bad phase I lay them down, tell them it's nap time and will see them when nap time is finished. I do not go back into the room but I can still see them whitout them knowing. The time it takes for the child to go back to a good sleeping habit depends on the child and on the consistency. For some child I have to do it all over again once in a while as I know at home the naps are inconsistent.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to crafty For This Useful Post:

I have tried going on every little bit but they just get more worked up. Augh. Mondays suck.

Euphoric !
    When children are new I do lots of cuddling whenever I can because the poor little guys are scared and confused and it takes some time for them to feel safe and to trust me. Imagine being stuck all of a sudden in a strange place with strange faces! Think about how you feel, even as an adult when you have to go into a new job or other situation with all new people.

So at naptime I do sit beside their playpens and lay them down over and over if necessary and rub their backs a bit but I don't pick them up again. They have to learn that there is no option other than to go to sleep. Ugh! Good luck and may patience surround you!

Euphoric !
    Ok 20 mins for a new child is not bad.... If it were me I would put the child in bed and walk away and everyday it will get less and less. Going back in makes it worse cause the child thinks you are coming back for them. It's gets better and soon this child will just go right to sleep.

Shy
    Hello! I Agree with the others. Create a routine and stick to it. Put them down and leave. I have little ones here who use to cry for 30 minutes at a time and really stressed me out! After about a week of being consistent, they dont even let out a peep (one of them it took two weeks). it will get better!
    Also continue to tell the parents as they should know its taking a bit for them to adjust.

Good luck!

apples and bananas
    So funny I was just about to post the same question! I have a new one. He's just 12 months old last week. He was on a morning nap at home, but when I tried to put him down here he'd just cry for 1/2 an hour... not sleep at all. So, today we skipped the am nap and he was fine. He didn't show signs of sleepy until lunch.

I put him down at noon, he cried for 5 min then fell asleep. Woke up at 12:30 and has been crying since (about 15 minutes)

I never stay in the room or cuddle or rub their back. I simply go in, lay them back down and leave. I don't way a word after the 2nd time.

So, right now, he's jumping and yelling... oh he's upset! Lucky for me the other little one I have isn't bothered by it. ;

I understand what you mean as it's hard to listen to them cry. I know he needs more sleep then this