Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

How do you make new children feel welcome?

I would love to hear your ideas for how you make new children in your care feel welcome! (ex: craft, song, little gift, ..).

Thanks!

Euphoric !
    Mostly I just go about a normal day but keep the child near if they want it. Many thrive on mixing in with the other kids and others shy away and cling to me. I do more activities that are teacher led so that everyone is on the same footing and I can control turn taking, interrupting, letting everyone have a say. Doing too much to make them feel "special" can actually have the opposite effect and turn the "regulars" off the new child in the sense that they come every day and why does someone who comes once deserve the treats only. Most of the kids I take come in as infants so this isn't a issue for me. For an older child I try to make sure we have a picture to colour or craft to take home so child has some momento of the day but then so do all of the children. I will also do things like special cookies for snack since it is a new child's day. Usually I will do this on one of their transition days to daycare. I do it at after nap snack so the treat is the end of the day for everyone so last thing on their mind when they go home.

Starting to feel at home...
    Thanks but I probably should have been more clear. My centre opens next month and one little child will start first and two more a month later. Not going to be an issue about other children feeling left out or anything. My first theme once I have the three is "All About Me" so I'll start with that. Thanks.

Euphoric !
    A theme I often do with new older kids such as in Sept when there is a changeover is a My Daycare Day theme. I cover house rules, expectations, how we play together since many are only kids. We look at each centre and explore all the possibilities like all of the different kinds of blocks.