Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Child cries all day!!!

A little boy started at my daycare about two months ago. He is 17 months old and never been away from his mom. He has not been consistently coming for these last two months...only 3 -4 days a week. Maybe that is part of the problem, it is hard to know. Anyhow...I have a large dog as well which he hates. My dog's name can't even be mentioned and he goes into hysterical crying. No matter how much I cuddle him, he appears to not want to be with me or in my home. Not sure how to approach everything with the mum...I want to be honest with her Ofcourse..but I don't know if it is too soon to mention the problems I am having.

Shy
    Oh that is a stressfull one! 3-4 days a week for 2 months I would think he should be used to your house by now. Is he walking? Do you suspect anything medical? I know when we have a new one who cries the first few days it is horrible for everyone, stresses the other kids out, the dogs and cat out and especially me! Which in turn makes me short with the others! Have you told the mom at all that he cries all day? Are you reliant on that pay check or could you do without till a new kid can fill that spot? I think I would personally encourage the parent to find other arrangments. I once had a 6 mth old who all she did was cry the first 9 mths of her life, the mom said it didn't doesn't matter what you do she will cry! It was horrible you couldn't put her down, so I went and got a umbrella stroller and pushed her all over the house with me. Maybe that might work? Good Luck!

ok, first off!!!! MENTION IT! if you dont and you have more trouble down tyhe line you will have to tell these parents for the first time "that you have been having concerns from the beginning" they will chalk that up right next to lying. If you dont tell the parents, they have no idea there could be an issue. It can also be chalked up to "mis-communication" always tell the parents! you dont have to go into crazy detail, "your kid is driving me crazy with his screaming" but you do owe it to them and yourself to mention "he seems to have a difficult time some days" that way you can work together with the parent to help resolve the issue. alot of time the issue may stem from something thw parent may or may not be doing at home, if you dont let them know, you may never get to the bottom of it! GOOD LUCK my Dear! this is Not a Fun Situation! usually gets better though. BTW: you do need to find a way to get him used to your dog, that is just like a child not liking your husband or your child, your household comes first and a situation like that can really get in the way of the entire day. Is your dog a in or out dog? do you bring him over to the dog and have him touch him gentle while in your arms, or have him give the dog a treat every day to show how fun and nice doggies can be? these things can become a "deal breaker" if not solved.

apples and bananas
    Honesty is best I say. Not every child who walks through our doors is going to be a good fit. The dog may just be too much for him. Best to be honest with mom and let mom decide if it's the best solution for daycare.