Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Reciepts what to keep what to toss

Do I really need to keep all the grocery reciepts? We grocery shop once a week. and sometimes need to purchase milk again a few days later ( our fridge is on the smaller size).
    Just wondering what I need to keep and what I can throw away.. and what the best way to organize it all.

I am anal and I keep ALL my receipts that could possibly be considered a 'shared' expenses between business and personal use ... I have heard too many stories about providers who have been audited and only had receipts for the business and than no way to 'prove' that the expenses were not for family as well and since we work from home this is especially important for us .... so with my groceries if I am writing off $7000 worth for 'business expenses' I want to make sure that I have at least 'double' that for my family in additional receipts ... so last year my TOTAL grocery receipts were just over $20,000 plus I kept any of our 'eating out' receipts to show that in addition to that we spent additional X on feeding the family ... and we are a family of 2.5 two adults and a stepson whose eating here part time.

As for organization ... I keep all my receipts in envelopes labeled with the 'expense' they relate to ... grocery expenses, toys and equipment, office, advertizing / marketing, field trips and outings ... etc.

Basically the only reciepts I do not keep are those for our clothes and family entertainment and family gifts and stuff like that ... cause we have to keep all our vehicle receipts again to show that what I am writing off as business expenses does not included my 'spouses' vehicle and so forth
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thank you.
    We are basically the same two adults and my one year old and my two teenage step kids when they bother to show up.
    I do not spend nearly as much as you on groceries.. With the daycare kids ( 2) I average about $ 600 a month including cleaning and personal hygiene.
    I buy on sale and batch cook and LOVE my crockpot which helps keep costs down.
    I like the idea of keeping restaurant receipts. We have breakfast out every Sunday and usually something takeout dinner once every two weeks or so.

Outgoing
    we do the same as reggio. we keep everything - all grocery receipts, toys, gas...

The only thing we don't include is family entertainment. And we organize it just the same - in envelopes labelled accordingly. We will eventually be getting the computer program where you just scan the receipt and it electronically files it for you...

Outgoing
    I keep mine filed by date, only because some receipts are "mixed" (both groceries and toys etc.). I also photocopy each receipt because I was warned in a Revenue Canada HST course that receipts often fade after only a year or two, and Revenue Canada can ask for receipts up to 7 years! (Actually longer, if they suspect fraud). If your receipts have faded they won't be allowed. Lots of cash register printers have terrible ink for this, so they recommended they all be photocopied and stapled to the copy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to treeholm For This Useful Post:

Oh good point Treeholm ... admittedly something I do not do cause we never did that in centre care so it never dawned on me they would not accept a faded receipt .... I have so many receipts and the thought of all those trees being wasted on the what if I get audited worry would make me sad .... one of these days I want to invest in one of those Neat receipt scanners and make them all digital copies so this might just push that further up in my priority to budget for!

http://www.neat.com/
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    That looks like a very cool gadget Reggio!

Outgoing
    I just noticed that you can order the Neat Scanner for PC on costco.ca. If anyone uses it, I'd love to hear how it works. Costo doesn't have the one for Mac on their website though.

I know eh ~ I have a scanner on my printer but this one comes with an actual 'program' specifically importing them to it ... I wonder if they ever do demos for it at Costco cause I would love to see it in action first before buying one!
    Loris Malaguzzi

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    I bought a new printer that has a scanner and fully intended to scan all my reciepts and organize them on the computer.... well 5 months later and I dont even know how the scanner actually works. I've never even tried lol.