Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Sibling Discounts and Teacher's Kids

Do you offer a discount for siblings?

How do you manage children of teachers?
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

I don't offer a sibling discount, I already feel like I don't get paid enough during the day!

What do you mean by 'manage children of teachers'?

I currently care for two children who are teachers kids. The infant will be spending the summer at home with mom. I close for 3-4 weeks in the summer (hubby is a teacher). Then i'm open for my toddler if/when she needs care. Last year I had her for Tues & Thurs.

In my manual, I state that I can take up to 6-7 weeks of holidays that are unpaid - incase parents have to find alternate care. These weeks include 2 weeks at Christmas, and March Break. Families can take 2 weeks unpaid holidays, then every other week after that, they pay me half their payment for the week (if that makes sense - it's hard to explain). It works well, and the parents appreciate it.

If the parents want to take the summer off, that is fine by me. They have to pay me a two week non-refundable deposit if they would like their childs spot come school time!

I know some people won't agree to the way I run my daycare - especially the payments, but I do not NEED money. We are not in financial need, and as long as I have 1 f/t and 1 p/t children, it pays off our mortgage. I'm running a home daycare because I HATED working in daycare centers, and still love caring for children. This way, it's my rules or the highway!

Starting to feel at home...
    Sorry, I meant 'How do you manage your salary when it comes to caring for children of teachers? Families who will want to have their children at home during Christmas break, March break, certain PA days, and summer holidays.

I know a lady out here who is married to a teacher as well...she takes her summer off too, so that works well.

I wasn't sure what people are doing as far as 'holding fees' or if they just consider a lighter load for the summer a type of 'vacation' too. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Not a problem Emily. Did I explain it clearly enough?

I know of others that have a payment of you pay for a reduction of the fee for the two summer months.

NO sibling discounts. Two spots are two spots and you pay full fees.

Teachers......charge them $5 more per day and they can have all school holidays off with no fees needed. Also, have them give you an additional deposit every June to secure their spot for Sept.

Shy
    I don't currently have any siblings at my daycare but when and if the time should come I am not planning on offering any type of discount.

I have two children in my daycare and each of them have parents who are teachers. The first year they were in my care I offered a special deal in that for the months of July and August I would only charge them $25 day for the days they didn't come and then would charge them the regular fee on the days that they did attend. During the second year of care I no longer offered this same sort of deal -as a family we just couldn't afford to take the reduced payments any longer. I have seen all sorts of different arrangements for the summer months with teachers kids. Some have the whole summer off for free, others charge a $200 a month holding fee for the child's space, others don't offer any discount at all. I think that you just have to do what is right for you and your family.

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    I agree we have to do what is best for our family and what our family budget will allow. You need to set up and impliment a payment system that works best for your business/family needs.

Ps ... I don't provide sibling discounts and families with an extended absense from daycare can have their fees reduced by 50% up to 6 weeks in the summer.
    Last edited by Tot-Time; 04-12-2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: added more
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com

Outgoing
    No discount for siblings. As for teachers, they pay full rates from Sept. - June and then when they take the summer off, they pay half fees to hold their spot and I allow them a certain # of days that they can come during those months for that fee.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/