Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Getting the kids to say goodbye

As some of you know, I am terminating a family this week. The little boy has been a handful but he was still a really nice addition to our "family". My older boy loved him. He knew that when they babies went down for their naps, this little boy was coming and he always asks.

How do I inform them of his diparture? How do I explain it?

Euphoric !
    Words to the effect of he has a different place he has to go now so he won't be able to come and play with us all the time. That sort of leaves the door open even though you know he isnt' coming back ever, the kids don't need to know that. When kids leave to go to school the others are told the same thing - child has a new place he needs to go.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Thats the fun of mommies job, always have lots of friends to play with, sometimes they come and sometimes they go! we'll get you another buddy!

I agree with the keeping it simple 'Johnny is moving on in his journey and wont be able to come anymore ~ we will miss him for sure'

I have not had to deal with the leaving on 'poor terms' so one of the things we do for friends missed at least for the first little while is we send them 'love notes' every few weeks about what we've been up to, color a picture for them or whatever and send it in the mail ... and as long as my current crew is 'asking' about the child we keep going but over time they tend to 'fade' as new friends replace them and either the kids here stop asking or the kid who left stops 'responding' and well than they just exit out of our lives for good.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi