Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Easter Monday - Are you open or closed and do you charge or not?

Hi
    I am just wondering how everyone else was treating Easter Monday
    I get paid for all statutory holidays as per my contract but Easter Monday is a tricky one because it is a Federal holiday but not provincial. I am not sure whether this falls under a true 'stat'. It just seems to be a grey area holiday What do you do?/

In my manual I state:

Andrea’s Play and Learn Home Daycare will be closed on the following days as paid holidays:
    New Year’s Day (Jan)
    Family Day (Feb)
    Civic Holiday (Aug)
    Labour Day (Sept)
    Good Friday (Apr)
    Thanksgiving (Oct)
    Easter Monday (Apr)
    Christmas Day (Dec)
    Victoria Day (May)
    Boxing Day (Dec)
    Canada Day (July)
    If a Statuary Holiday lands on a weekend, I will be taking the holiday either on the Friday or the Monday of that weekend. I will let you know at least 4 weeks in advance.

Euphoric !
    I have it in my contract as a stat with the idea that to visit family we need a long weekend and don't travel out of town in winter so it's the first chance since Christmas if we wanted to. If we don't it is a busy weekend church wise because of special choir commitments, etc.

I know that not everyone gets the day off and I do accept kids at my discretion and unknown to other parents. I reserve the right to charge an extra fee - depending on the parent and if I think they had other options or not.

I treat Remembrance Day the same way. It is a paid stat with care available if I am not doing anything special and at my discretion. My husband is military so do not have a problem with parents understanding that this day is important to us.

I am off with pay.

This is why I no longer use the words "stat" or "civic" holidays in my contract. I simply list every day I intend to take off with pay (or take off on a Monday in lieu of) and get paid for. There is no grey area if you list the actual days.

Shy
    I am off with pay for the Friday and the Monday as well. I also just list all the days that my daycare will be closed for the current year and that is that

Shy
    I too am closed on Easter Monday - I included this day in my parent contract as a day I am closed with pay.

Expansive...
    Thnaks for all the input guys. That was helpful. I think maybe this week I will send out the newsletter and clarify to the parents

Euphoric !
    I have added Easter Monday and Christmas Eve day as paid stat holidays for myself instead of raising my rates this year. I feel it is a little raise for me without a daily rate raise.

Euphoric !
    I don't have Christmas Eve day as a vacation day but I do have it in my contract that I reserve the right to close early on any eve of a Stat such as Christmas Eve or before Good Friday to facilitate family plans. Christmas Eve being the big one since we are involved with services at church and that sometimes means the kids were in dramas or choir, etc so needed to be there early but also we have travelled to visit family for Easter and left the day before. If we leave by mid afternoon we can still be there by midnight.

Expansive...
    Guess I dont feel bad for asking for Easter Monday paid because I close for about 10 days around Christmas UNPAID. That means parents don't have to ay me Christmas Eve, Christmas, Boxing day or New Year's so they get a break.

This year I closed from Dec 23-Jan 3rd unpaid. I think most parents are off during that time too. It is too complicated to open for a day then clsoe again for a few then open again because the holidays come right after each other for Christmas and then New Years.