Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayola kiddies View Post
    Many moons ago (16 years) I had a house fire ... Small fire (only 10 gals of water to put it out ) but the smoke damage was extensive. The main floor of the house (bungalow) had to be gutted right back to the studs. It was an extremely traumatic experience. I had a 5 yr old and a 4 month old .... I went from living in a 3000sq ft home to a 27 ft trailer in the front yard and I also had my two 10 yr old step daughters and 5 daycare children .... It was a nightmare! So I feel for these people to be displaced from their home and everything that they held sacred. If it was me and they are only 15 mins late due to extenuating circumstances ( which I have personally lived through) I would probably tell them that under normal circumstances you would charge them a late fee but due to their situation and not wanting to cause any more stress to their lives you would let it go for now. Give them a time frame of maybe 6 weeks then there will be a flat rate late fee of $25/week or what ever you think is fair. I know how much there is to do to rebuild and still try to keep some normalcy of life for the sake of the kids. Just my nickel
    But they are not coming from their house for pick up. They are picking the kids up from the same place of employment at the daycare that is in the same location. I would not give them any kind of break. If it was late drop off, that'd be different, and I'd have every sympathy in the world for a displaced family. But I fail to see how their living arrangements changes the time they pick up their kids from the same location they always have picked them up.

ETA: Didn't read all the replies...you guys had this covered.

Shy
    Thanks again all. After reading your advice I quickly got a contract together and now the late pickups are almost non-existent, occasionally 5 minutes with texts updating how close they are and what the traffic is doing......
    Unfortunately turning the situation into a contracted one has left the relationship a little strained, they were very upset at my 1$ per minute late fee..... And maybe not so smart but the contracted time is 5:45 preferred pickup but late fees don't start until after 6.
    It was that or completely change my hours and find a new family whom could accommodate me. I would love to be finished at 5:30..... When this family moves on that is the plan!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Inatree For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Good for you for taking control of the situation! Tough bananas if it left things a little strained,it is YOUR business and they were taking advantage of your kindness.

Euphoric !
    Yes, good for you! Sometimes you have to put your foot down hard to take charge. I'm in a bad situation right now with one family and doing some serious thinking about what I'm going to do. We have to remember to run our businesses professionally. A plumber or other service worker wouldn't work without being paid for every minute and we certainly provide a very valuable service in our field.

Although I do sympathize these people are going through a ton of stress right now , I couldn't imagine, however....keep in mind, your time is important. I would address the situation with them and give them a few options. Let them know you are so sorry for their situation and sympathize completely but the encroachment on your time IS becoming a bit of an issue and you would like to work with them on solving it. You could offer to take the kids longer, WITH an extra charge.
    You could ask them if they could leave work a little early to pick up on time, given the extra commute required. You could ask if there is friend or family to help out by picking up on time so you can have your personal time. Always put your self in someone elses shoes before talking, (keeps us all humbled,acknowledgin g others troubles) on the very same note, keep your needs in mind also..kindly sympathize but let them know your time is important. Good Luck....and prayers for them..(couldn't imagine what it's like to loose your home)