Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

One of my kids had a seizure today

My 16 month old had a seize today. Scared the living sh** out of me. Fell, but didn't hit his head. Had a hard time catching his breath and had a30-45 second seizure. I am so traumitized! I don't know how to deal with this!

Starting to feel at home...
    My daughter suffers from them as well. She started at 13 months we called the ambulance its very scary. They told me that they are fever seizures and that they grow out of it around five. My daughter is two and a half and hasnt one snice march. What you do if she has another one is lay her down where nothing is around her where she can get hurt on her side. If possible get a cold cloth put it on her head back of the neck to get her body temp down. If its more than three mins call 911. Once they are out of it give a cool bath give them tempra or advil. Its hard sometimes to tell if they have one because fever can pop up after the sizures so you are always on high alert! did you call the ambulance? Did they take your son or daughter to the hospital?

Oh hon they are scary indeed ... one of the reasons why most daycares have a 'must stay home if fever gets over 100 or 101' because the odds of this happening increase the higher it gets and they need more one on one supervision than ... however challenge is that some children can have a fever with no other symptoms so unless you happen to be snuggling them and feel them getting 'hot' they can go from being normal to seizing in a blink

I agree any child whose had a seizure the first time should be seen by a Dr and than you can talk about 'action plan' for future times about how 'long' they seize before they have to been seen by a Dr ... plus if it is a daycare child and you are 'comfortable' dealing with it or if its your own child an action plan for how to deal with the daycare kids if your child needs to go to the hospital and so forth.

Hopefully it was an isolated incident!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    It wasn't fever induced. He fell. He was sitting on the couch and underestimated the end of it (I think his depth perception might still need some developping) and he fell on his hands and knees pretty hard. I went and picked him up because he has started to cry, but you know that silence in between breaths when they're crying? He couldn't catch his breath, and his tongue rolled back. I laid him down on my lap and rubbed his belly trying to calm him down. He stopped crying and his eyes went blank, his body went stiff and he was breathing funny, making these noices like he was sleeping. It was really scary. It only lasted long enough for me to say his name and to think about calling 911. Then he started crying again. I wasn't positive that it was a seizure because he didn't convulse and it was so short. I took him to the basement where I keep their bins, got his emergency contact info and by the time I had left a message for his dad, he'd stopped crying. I put him in a highchair, gave him his soother and a glass of water and he was quickly back to normal. Meanwhile, I was shaking so much I could barely dial the numbers. I couldn't get a hold of anyone! None of the emergency contact people were asnwering. I called my mom, who lives down the street, and she came over and watched the other kids so I could call around. I finally got a hold of his dad and he said he would be there asap.

They took him to the ER but obviously the dr couldn't diagnose anything. I REALLY hope it was an isolated incident. I had to take a gravol to go to sleep last night because I kept reliving it over and over. Now that I think about it, the only other thing it could have been was him on the cusp of passing out from now being able to catch his breath. But he was breathing, they were really shallow short breaths, but it would have been that.

Scarriest moment of my life.

Wow, that was frightening!! Poor little guy and poor you. You both were traumatized by this. Be good to yourself and know you handled the situation and yourself well. It will take a while for you to get over the scare so cut yourself some slack and take deep breaths.

SO SO sorry you had to see /witness that ... One piece of advice ... NEVER EVER put a cold cloth on a seizing child it can put them in shock !

When I worked in a daycare a long time ago, we had a little one in the infants room that when he got upset, he would literally stop breathing, his lips would even turn blue, we would have to blue puffs of air into his mouth as soon as this would start, to encourage him to take breath. It is very scary and thankfully not all that common. He did grow out of it eventually, but it was nerve racking everytime he would get really upset.

Oh boy! scary for sure! I know how you feel as I was with my nephew when he had his first and only seizure, his lasting 27 minutes. I understand that the emerg could not diagnose but i would have a very serious discussion with the parents and request that he follow up with physician to see if this could be further investigated. Since you are watching this child and his safety is in your hands for a great part of most days, I do think this is reasonable.

Not only did I have to go through this with my nephew (who is also in my care) but a similar situation with one of my kids suddenly developing weird tics were his head would start turning to the side and his eyes kinda rolling up! In both cases knowing that they were probably assessed helped a great deal in fealing like I had the knowledge to deal with the situation.

Every experience you live will make you stronger and take pride in the fact that you dealt with it the best way you knew how

Quote Originally Posted by zen39 View Post
    When I worked in a daycare a long time ago, we had a little one in the infants room that when he got upset, he would literally stop breathing, his lips would even turn blue, we would have to blue puffs of air into his mouth as soon as this would start, to encourage him to take breath. It is very scary and thankfully not all that common. He did grow out of it eventually, but it was nerve racking everytime he would get really upset.
    I have worked with children like this as well ~ the 'startle' response is not wired correctly and when they get hurt or upset they 'forget' to breath until something startles them to make them breath again or they pass out .... most children you can 'reset' them by blowing in their face or distracting them from the pain/upset with a hand clapping or your voice but we had one little girl that would literally have to 'pass out' if she got hurt or upset by something it was the only way to get her to start 'breathing' again because than the natural/subconscious instinct of the brain to send the message to the lungs to breath would take over not amount of 'startling' would help her brain kick in initially... it lasted until she was about 18 months and we could help her learn other coping mechanisms to 'calm herself'.

Scary indeed ~ if this was accident induced it could be something along the same line and he should grow out of it ~ I would try the blowing in his face or some other form of 'starting' him so that the subconscious need to breath can take over before he reaches that 'passing out' stage of the blank stare and eyes rolling around in his head
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    How frightening for you. I have to admit that's one of my worst nightmares but it sounds like you handled it brilliantly. Hopefully they will get a diagnosis from their doctor and have some recommendations that they can pass onto you. I hope you have a relaxing long weekend after that, whew!