Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

First day tomorrow

I have my first child starting tomorrow - a 10 month old girl. Any tips, advice, words of wisdom? I'm most concerned about naptime. How do you handle naptime with newbies? How many days/months did it take you guys to get into a good routine and to feel comfortable with the day to day?
    Thanks so much!

Euphoric !
    Congratulations and I hope your first clients are wonderful to you. My first year was sheer hell and that's sugar coating things! But I learned so much and since my second year things have been flowing smoothly most of the time.

It does take practice and experimenting with routines and methods in your home to figure out what is best for you and for the children. I started out by taking my cue from the children because I started slowly with a few children and then added them slowly until I was full. That sounds like how you are doing things. I let them dictate the naptimes and feeding times in the beginning until I learned their body rythyms. Then as they grew a little older I developed my schedule and program with outside & inside play and learning.

Right now my days go something like this:
    7:30 - open
    8:30 - breakfast
    9:00- 11:00 - outside play at parks 2-3 days per week, library 1 day per week, 1 inside learning/crafting day per week
    11:00 - prepare lunch while children freeplay in the toyroom
    11:30 - lunch
    12:00 - circle time
    12:30ish - naptime til about 3pm
    3:00 - afternoon snack
    I have children picked up between 3:30 - 4:45 so it's a long drawn out process and freeplay is our best bet.

Of course there are diaper changes in there and I have a new baby starting in the morning who may need a morning nap, but his Mom worked to make sure he naps at about 9am now so that he will sleep in the stroller as we travel. My best advice is to always ask the parents to get the child onto your mealtime & naptime schedules for at least a month before starting daycare so it's an easier transition for the child. Good luck!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Hi congrats on starting out!
    I agree with Momof4, except for the nap schedule. I have a 10 month old daughter and she requires 2 naps per day.
    Around 9am for 1-1.5hrs and again around 12:30-1pm for about 2 hours.

I use Momof4s schedule for my daycare kids, all around 2 yrs of age and my daughter and a 14 month old daycare boy are on a different nap schedule. Luckily, I get their afternoon naptime all at the same time so that I get MY break!!

Do you have any kids of your own? Or is this new child on her own with you?
    My daughter loves just crawling around, exploring the world. She puts everything in her mouth at this age so I need to watch her for that. Espicially if we are outside, she scoops up rocks, grass, twigs, anything lol.

Also, watch the food size, they cant eat very big chunks just yet, about .75cmx.75cm is what I cut her food up to. So not quite 1cm cubes, just a bit smaller. And soft foods too of course. Pasta and beans, toast, cheeses, yogurt, apple sauce, soda crackers, corn etc.

Let us knwo how your day works out.

She may cry lots when Mommy leaves, but after a week or two, typically she should be okay with being dropped off with you. If its constant crying, do not feel bad about placing her in a playpen by herself to give yourself a break!!! It has happened to us all!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KingstonMom For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I am also starting tomorrow, so I'm reading this post and replies with interest. I have a 12-month old little boy and 3.5 year old girl starting tomorrow. I'm adding an 18-month old girl soon as well. My own 3.5 year old granddaughter will have a playmate, and she is very excited. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest. Wondering what on earth I've done!

Thank you for the tips! I have 3 kids of my own but they will all be in school! My "baby" is in grade 3 and my other 2 kids are 12 and 15. It's been a while since I've had a 10 month old! The Mom is sending most of the baby's food right now, as she makes her own baby food. I have 3 more interviews this week, but it will be nice to have 1 on 1 time with her tomorrow! Now that it's come down to it, I'm happy to be starting out slow! I don't want to be overwhelmed from day 1.

Good luck, Treeholm! I hope you have a wonderful day with all your little ones!

Expansive...
    Try not to hold her in your arms during the entire nap! After about a week she got the idea that....I rock my 10mos old some days (if shes teething or coming down with something/or is sick)but for the most she's good. On typical days I'll carry her up awake with her sucky & lamby lay her down and she's out....no crying.

Also encouraging her to play "alone". Sit on the floor near her and slowly move further away.

My little one cries when her mom leaves but by the time mom is pulling out of my driveway she's all smiles but it took a LONG time of crying alllllllllllllllll day to get to this point! lol

Good Luck to you all!
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Good Luck Good Luck Good Luck!

Outgoing
    How was your first day GymMom? I hope you are relaxing over a glass of wine now, as I am LOL
    My first day went better than I anticipated. My 12 month old dcb slept for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. My 3.5 year old dcg played beautifully with my 3.5 year old granddaughter, and I actually enjoyed the day once I got over being nervous that I had taken two strange children into my home and didn't really know what they were like LOL. I think I hovered way more over the 12 month old than I did over my own children... poor kid couldn't move 2 feet without me right there handing him a toy. I imagine I'll find a happy medium between hovering and being lax.

My first day went really well! Only one little one here though - and she was a dream baby! Was happy from the minute she got here til her Mom came to pick her up and she went down for both her naps far better than I expected! I hovered also - haven't had a baby around for a while! Have an interview tomorrow and 2 more on Thursday - hoping to fill a couple more spots soon - but not too many! Hope your 2nd day goes as well as your first, Treeholm!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GymMom For This Useful Post: