Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    If they do not like the snacks provided, they are welcome to provide their own for their child. I agree with her, that the kids shouldn't only eat packaged, processed foods (also gets expensive) so try throwing in some veggies, fruit, cheese and crackers etc. as well. We serve: rice cakes with jam, cheese & crackers, orange slices, yogurt, cucumber/carrots/celery with dip etc.

Outgoing
    I serve things like organic cheddar or honey bunnies (they have less crap in them than Goldfish), cheese, organic yogurts, fruit, homemade muffins, organic oatmeal baby type cookies, bagels, toast with pb, organic cereals (dry), organic cereal bars, veggies, waffle strips with pb, um...there is probably more that I can't think of. I try to serve a lot of organic type foods so my food costs are quite high.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Euphoric !
    I'm the same as fruitloop, serving a lot of organic food. I was just thinking that serving fruit 3 times a day at every meal is about to be a thing of the past. I do that while the fruit prices are lower all summer, but in the winter the cost is prohibitive on some things so I cut down a bit.

I wouldn't cut down on fruit or serve a special menu unless the family was sending in the food as in the case of my lactose-intolerant boy. The parents send the milk and cheese weekly for him. Unless there was a medical problem with the child or you served a ton of pre-packaged unhealthy food, nobody should be able to dictate how you run your daycare.

I serve veggies and hummus,fruit and dip, yogurt, home made banana breads, muffins and cookies that wya they arent full of artificial junk. Fresh fruit is served at least twice a day, after lunch as desert and along side one of the snacks. I also make fruit posicles in the summer. Pineapples, pickles and pickled onions with some plain tops is another quick snack(very english ) I also make a big batch of apple cinnamon pancakes and freeze them. Then I simply take as many as I need out of the freezer and pop them in the toaster. Super easy and a favourite in my house.

Euphoric !
    I used to work in a daycare centre and use some of those ideas for my snacks now. Some of the best are (I'm not peanut free) in addition to some of my own:

* Apple wedges with peanut butter (or peanut butter mixed with honey for dipping - almond butter would probably be fine too)
    * Mixed fruit chunks with yogourt for dipping
    * Home made yogourt popsicles - these are fantastic and can layer them for patterns!
    * Graham crackers with jam
    * Digestive cookie ice cream sandwiches (can make with any ice cream or frozen yogourt - just takes small amount....HUGE treat!)
    * Bread sticks with ranch or cream cheese dip
    * Funny face sandwiches (or crackers) - spread cream cheese on round crackers or bread, have small items for kids to make faces or make yourself with (alf alfa, olive slices, banana slices, shredded carrot.....whatever. ...try to keep it cheap)
    * Watermelon is ALWAYS a big hit!
    * Now sometimes we do crackers with dips such as hummus, babaganoush or something really different they've never had before....makes it adventurous for older kids.
    * Impossible Quiche is super cheap and super easy (5 mins and a blender). Leftover's can be served as cold snack.
    * deviled eggs
    * Mini muffins (or half regular) - make up ahead and freeze - 30 secs in micro and snack is on

Kids aren't fussy about what is snack food and what isn't. I'll also bet that mother wouldn't pitch a fit over snack if maybe a little fruit was served with the mum mums and fishies. She probably just wants more balance....I'm betting it's her first child too? She's not tired enough to keep snacks simple yet

Now that I have home care, I typically have some plants the kids can get their snack directly from in the warmer months - raspberries and tomatoes this year. Parents always seemed impressed when they show up to find us sharing a bowl of what we've just harvested.

Good luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post
    I used to work in a daycare centre and use some of those ideas for my snacks now. Some of the best are (I'm not peanut free) in addition to some of my own:

* Apple wedges with peanut butter (or peanut butter mixed with honey for dipping - almond butter would probably be fine too)
    That sounds delicious and nutritious. I think I will add that one to my menu. It's very hard to accomodate all the different dietary demands nowadays, but for anyone that isn't peanut free I think this snack is a winner.

I have done the same with a small backyard garden, (rasberries, cherry tomatoes, mulberries and ground cherries) and it never fails to impress parents.

Shy
    I got alot of my ideas from the posters here so some have already been mentioned. I also have school age kids so they take turns picking snacks. This week we have:

PB and Jam sandwiches with grapes
    Cheese, crackers and kelbasa with apple slices
    Mixed veggies and dip
    Vanilla pudding and raspberries
    Lemon poppyseed muffins and fruit

in one day the am and pm snacks will include a yogurt/minigo, mini muffin of different varieties, a fruit for each snack, pita bread with spread hummus/cream cheese/jam, raisins/fishycrackers/saltless pretzels I would also ask what she might suggest. I also have never had a parent comment on what I serve as I know most are regulars at fast food outlets. Oh wait, I just thought of one parent who said she knew he ate so well here that she didn't feel guilty feeding him junk for dinner

Shy
    Wow, I'm impressed by all you ladies.....for me a snack is something small to hold you over 'till the next meal, so A piece of fruit. Like a banana, or an apple, pear etc.......That's it. Is that too little? Some of the pp included multiple items in a snack...maybe I need to revisit my menu.....

Euphoric !
    When I include multiple items it also means less of each item so half a banana and 2 crackers compared to a whole banana and a handful of crackers. Yes the snack is just to take the edge off the hunger not take it totally away - I want lunch to do that. Mostly for me snack is about getting a drink as they play hard and need it. So it is a drink and a little something to go with it. It is also about snack not taking a large block of time since we have so little in the morning and don't want to waste it all sitting in the kitchen eating.