Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Shy

What type of snacks do you provide?

This is the first time ever I had a mom compain to me about my snacks I provide to the kids. She doesn't want me to feed her 1 year old baby mum mums, graduate puffs or goldfish. She told me I feed the kids too much mum mums, graduate puffs, goldfish and fruits.

I provide a wide varieties of snacks depending on the age and if is age appropriate and most of the snacks are homemade. When parents registered they filled out the the food questionnaire they all said their kids loved goldfish, and other snacks and now she doesn't like it.

What do you feed your daycare kids?
    Last edited by Jtlt; 09-04-2012 at 10:22 AM.

We eat a TON of fruit for snack, little milk and sometimes we have crackers of various kinds. I do have a habit of getting in a rut with the foods I serve. although the kids dont complain alot, I do try to change it up by asking the parents to sign up for snack once every month. I dont care what they provide it just has to be healthy. maybe you should do that so this Mom can have "more say" every once in a while!!! or learn to shut up! ha ha Just kidding. have you asked her what she wants her child to eat? does she think its too much carbs? whats her deal? I stick with less expensive options and healthy...apples sliced or diced for little ones, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, cheese and crackers.

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by kidlove View Post
    We eat a TON of fruit for snack, little milk and sometimes we have crackers of various kinds. I do have a habit of getting in a rut with the foods I serve. although the kids dont complain alot, I do try to change it up by asking the parents to sign up for snack once every month. I dont care what they provide it just has to be healthy. maybe you should do that so this Mom can have "more say" every once in a while!!! or learn to shut up! ha ha Just kidding. have you asked her what she wants her child to eat? does she think its too much carbs? whats her deal? I stick with less expensive options and healthy...apples sliced or diced for little ones, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, cheese and crackers.
    I think the parents signing up for snack time once a month is a wonderful idea. Thank you for that. I am going to talk to her tonight and see what see says about what she wants her daughter to eat. I agree with you less expensive healthy options, that's what I do. I never given the kids cherry tomatoes though, I think I should try that. I feed the kids fruits snacks at every snack time and add abit of dry snacks as well for the kids.

This parent has given me a hard time from day one, she has been her for a month now and I cannot deal with her much longer.
    Last edited by Jtlt; 09-04-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Sounds like you may be dealing with a "controlling" Mommy! I say, pick one and stick with it, either raise your kid yourself OR sit back and "allow" the person you chose, to "raise" your child from 9-5. thats the parents choice....they cant raise their child from work. ARG! controlling Moms drive me up the wall!!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

I have cherry tomatoes growing out my behind right now, currently have bags and bags at the end of my driveway for sale, I cant feed them fast enough.. ha ha ha Too bad you dont live closer I would send you some "free of charge"

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    I once had a mom complain that I served the children too much fruit. She preferred I serve her son some crackers at snack time rather than fresh fruit like the other children were eating.

Meanwhile I can tell she feeds him spaghetti or something tomato based every night for supper... poor kid had the most acidic poops. But it was my fault for serving fruit...

apples and bananas
    I have to admit... I fall into the fishy cracker rut once in a while, but I always serve with fruit. Mostly fruit... crackers... cheese... applesause... raison toast... banana bread or other homemade mini muffins. The bigger kids get frozen yogurt tubes in the summer sometimes.

I don't buy the special things like mum mums... I find them too costly for the one child I have that will eat them.

Euphoric !
    I serve 2 things in the morning, all the food groups at lunch and 2 things for snack, usually yogurt or cheese with a croissant or pretzels or crackers or fruit of all kinds or veggie strips.

Expansive...
    Today's AM snack was fresh cut mango and pineapple with cheese, and PM snack will be oatmeal cookies and craisins

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtlt View Post
    This is the first time ever I had a mom compain to me about my snacks I provide to the kids. She doesn't want me to feed her 1 year old baby mum mums, graduate puffs or goldfish. She told me I feed the kids too much mum mums, graduate puffs, goldfish and fruits.

I provide a wide varieties of snacks depending on the age and if is age appropriate and most of the snacks are homemade. When parents registered they filled out the the food questionnaire they all said their kids loved goldfish, and other snacks and now she doesn't like it.

What do you feed your daycare kids?

I serve pretty much the same as the PP....did mom say what she wants you to serve instead?? seems very strange to me. Ive never had anyone question what I serve, most of my DCP dont even ask lol because they knows its healthy, usually home made and covers all the food groups. Id be asking for examples of what she deems an appropriate snack so you can figure out where she is coming from.