Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Kids on the computer?

I have some before/after school kids here this year. One of them asked to use my computer today and I wasn't sure what to say! Mostly I'm concerned about the computer being damaged by the kids! I let my own school-age child use my computer, but he is supervised and knows how to use it properly. I think I'd just prefer that don't use it, but I wasn't sure what to say to the boy today. Would you let older kids use it or not (age 5-9)?

jec
    I wouldn't let them, if something did break by mistake- you can be sure it wont' get paid for.

I would just mention to the kids sorry as it's something they can't play with in case it gets broken as you use it for your business.
    You would be sick if a glass of water got spilled on it and it was by mistake, you really couldn't ask someone to pay to fix it as it was a mistake

Nope. Wouldn't allow them to use my computer. Just as jec said, it's a business tool.

I also only have the one laptop for hubby and I. Why would I have a bratty child (that's not my own) use it!? I don't even allow my nephews to touch my laptop! lol

Outgoing
    Not a chance.

Agreed, I totally would not either. I'm just thinking from a liability aspect...I know I wouldn't have time to monitor their computer explorations with my little DCKs in tow...it would be just that time that older DCK would find some very inappropriate site that traumatizes them for life or something which leads to parent blowing a gasket.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    I know a provider that does only before and after school care and the children have thier own laptops for school. They are allowed to be on thier own computers and she allows them to connect to her wifi but her personal computer is off limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Toregone View Post
    I know a provider that does only before and after school care and the children have thier own laptops for school. They are allowed to be on thier own computers and she allows them to connect to her wifi but her personal computer is off limits.
    Wow...their own laptops for school? Is that a normal thing?
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Expansive...
    I too know a dcp who's 3 B/A school kids have their own iPads!! They don't bring it to school (not allowed) but use her wifi when they're home....

I don't even have an iPad!!

I wouldn't allow anyone to use my laptop either. Now if I had an old desktop that had no internet and just age appropriate games....yeah maybe I'd allow it. Make it educational!
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

apples and bananas
    I do! My 9 year old daughter has to be with them to assist, but I think the computer is a great tool for learning. I'd prefer they were on the computer being interactive then zombies in front of the tv. I only allow specific websites and as long as my daughter is there it's fine.

I also have one that brings her IPAD. She does not go into my wifi though as I can not monitor what she's watching on there.

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamalittledream View Post
    Wow...their own laptops for school? Is that a normal thing?
    It's not only normal but a requirement. In the Catholic schools here (not sure about the public) children in grade 4 or 5 (can't remember which grade) need thier own laptop as a required school supply. So they have it with them every day anyway, she figures why not allow them to use it. Mostly they just do homework from what I understand.