Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Red flags?

Yes I agree w/ Apples and Bananas. I have everything signed and returned usually the week before they start,, and I send a what to being email the weekend before. I also agree that offering extra time at p/u is good if they claim they do not have the extra time..... then you know where they stand.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dodge__driver11 For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    RED FLAG RED FLAG RED FLAG!!

Take it from someone who just had THE WORST experience with a client thus far...this is not a good sign. When mom starts arguing a small, tiny policy, she will argue the bigger ones as well. And the fact that they haven't paid you yet...not good. It doesn't matter when you ask to be paid, you asked to be paid. And if they can't do that, then this is not a good sign. Policies are policies. This woman is a CONTROL freak and her child should be in a center or with a nanny. I strongly advice you to tread very carefully and hope she doesn't turn out like my psycho mom!

Starting to feel at home...
    I would not take a child into care until the forms and payment had been dropped off--and I wouldn't accept it the first morning either, I like to read everything and make sure the information is there ahead of time. I ask parents to bring the form/payment, at minimum, the night before, but generally a few days or a week before they start.

If I was in your position, I would email the client and let them know that they need to bring all of the forms completed, and the payment, Monday morning at drop-off, or you will not be accepting their child into care. If they show up without everything you've asked for, you don't let that child in the door! End of story.

Euphoric !
    I agree with everyone. Nobody, not even established clients will be allowed in the door without having all contracts and forms signed properly annually. I do not cater to my clients in my own time unless I'm sending out an email to all of them to inform them of my plans for the week or maybe answering a call from them because they have a sickness and won't be attending.

Finally, signing on a new client should not be as you described. One meeting for an interview, possibly one playdate, then one more meeting to go over the contracts and forms tegether with everything being signed in my presence so questions can be answered and rules can be laid out by me. I always keep it business and professional with the parents. My program and my caring and nurturing is for the children, NOT THE PARENTS. Don't hold the parents hands! They are adults and capable of understanding and following all the rules. These parents need a time out!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the input so far. I've definitely learned some lessons through this experience and there are a few things that I will do differently next time. I think I'll wait to see if this sort of thing continues I decide whether I terminate or not. Like some of you said, it might be just that I didn't make my expectations clear and/or they're just disorganized right now getting started. But I'll remember everything that's happened in case things continue in this direction. The reason I expected payment on wednesday is because I have it in my policy that you pay on the child's last enrolled day of the week for the next week. I didn't have her yesterday or today. I also have it in my policy that I'm willing to work out a different payment schedule if necessary but she hasn't indicated that it's a problem (other than not paying of course) anyway, 2 things: she requested that we text rather than email because she doesn't email often so that's why we were texting. Should I still insist on email? And 2: this is what I have written up to text/email/whatever you suggest to her: Hi Sarah,*

"Hi xxxx, Just a reminder that all Xxxx's forms need to be completed and signed, including the policy, and brought Monday morning when you or Xxxx drop her off as well as the payment for the week. *If the forms are not filled out, I will not be able to provide care until they are. Also, if the payment is not provided Monday morning, I cannot provide care and payment will be considered late, incurring 4 days of late fees. According to my policy, payment is already late since it was not provided on Wednesday but I understand that the beginning of September can be a little chaotic so as long as payment arrives Monday morning, I'll waive the late fees. Have a great weekend and we'll see you Monday!"

Is this ok? Nice enough? Professional enough? Clear enough?

Thanks again for all your help - it's hard figuring out the right way to do all this :S

sounds good to me, just remember to stick to your guns! on the email/text thing. I text...its immediate and easier for me I keep my cell phone on the kitchen counter and will respond to any parents immediately through the day, only check emails every few days at most, besides this blog, I hate the computer takes up too much time!!!! just do whats easy for you both, little advice though, all my parents know that "my family time is my family time" I rarely return or read texts in the pm hours and on weekends (respecting my personal time with my hubby and kids) they are welcome to send a message whenever they feel prompted, but know I will respond usually monday am or maybe sunday night (maybe) when I am closed, I am closed. i figure its the same as having office hours, I will check my messages when I get to the "office" monday morning.

Euphoric !
    Remember that you are a businesswoman now adelaide. You must be professional and polite at all times, but nice is not one of the things you have to worry about when talking about your contracts, your rules and especially when a payment is due.

We are all nice people and too soft sometimes and that's what draws us to this profession. I'm a caring, nurturing person, but I certainly learned about taking care of myself when it comes to the business side of things. You deserve respect and you shouldn't have to ask 'nicely' to have your rules enforced. It is expected.

Thanks again the text is sent so we'll see what happens. I'll try and update next week if I have a chance - or earlier I guess if she replies with something. I'm definitely going to take the advice of keeping family time and business hours separate. That's a great tip and so obvious, I don't know why I didn't think of it :s

Update:

So I texted the mom on Friday, reminding her to bring the forms and payment, etc and I didn't hear anything all weekend. I wasn't sure what time they would drop the daughter off because they originally said 7am (when I open) but last week dropped her off around 8:30 (they let me know ahead of time) but I didn't know what the drop off time would be this week so I was up and ready for 7. I texted the dad at 7:15 just asking what time he was planning on coming by and I didn't hear anything. At 9, I texted both parents asking if the daughter was coming today and said that I would appreciate if they let me know either way. The mom texted saying that I needed to text the dad, that he was supposed to talk to me today and that she was driving. Soon after I heard from the dad saying that his phone was malfunctioning this morning and that he finally got it working, that they wouldn't need my services and wishing me luck. So I guess I don't have to worry about it It is in my policy that the first two weeks of care are a trial period and either the parents or myself can terminate care and I guess it's a good thing I had that in there because I don't have to bother chasing them down for anything. I'm actually quite ok with the way this turned out. They weren't nasty about it, I don't have to deal with them anymore, I've learned some lessons and I have the baby to look forward to. I'm a little concerned about how we're going to pay our bills this month but we'll just have to make it work. Thanks for all the advice everyone

Outgoing
    Well, it all worked out for the best then! They probably realized they wouldn't be getting away with the things they thought they could and decided to find someone else to take advantage of. I know it's hard to be told that you're "not needed" but this is a blessing in disguise. I worry daily how I'm going to pay my bills, but God will always give you what you need. Just have faith and everything will turn out for the best

Good luck and sending you good vibes!