Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Advice needed. New DCG is afraid of dog

Hi, I have a new dcg, age 2 who is terrified of my dog (golden doodle). Mom told me at our interview that she loved dogs and that they had 2 big dogs at her previous home daycare. She's been with me all week and is petrified when she sees the dog. I have the playroom and the family room gated off so the dog cant come in but he sits just outside the gate. I'm not sure how to make her comfortable with the dog because she also has a very stubbon streak in her according to mom and dad. I just found out that at her old daycare they played in the basement and apparently someone openend the basement door and the 2 dogs went barreling down the stairs so I'm assuming that scared the daylights out of her because before that she had no issues according to mom and dad. I am trying to go about our day and not make a big deal about the dog and when she cries just say " it's okay, no crying" and she stops crying right away but sometimes she just screams blue murder and my dog loves kids and panics when they cry because he wants to be right beside them so her crying freaks him out. Its like a 3 ring circus sometimes lol. I can definately see her stubborn side in other areas so I'm guessing that this may be playing a part. At one point yesterday, I had the dog laying in the doorway of the playroom beside me and she never cried once, she even sat on the floor less than a foot away from him playing and it didnt seem to bother her. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have dogs also, have never really had too much issue (lasted long) with a child being afraid, that IS always one of my questions apon meeting the family, I ask of allergies or fear of animals (we have alot of animals). if she is ok with dogs everywhere else I would wonder if its the size of him that bothers her, or maybe she was knocked down by a bigger dog, and she is associating that with your dog? I always have the kids who are a little leary of my dogs, come to them (with me) pet them and give them snacks, maybe show the child some tricks, but the most important thing is they learn to become comfortable with ALL members of our household including that animals, Def give her time to adjust, but worst case, she doesnt? its not worth the stress on you everyone else and mostly the dog. Even the smartest animal is still an animal, if a child makes them uncomfortable they could make a mistake (growl/bite?) you def dont want that. They MUST become friends! Good Luck

Outgoing
    Oh, i asked about dogs at our interview and was told no problem. I didnt hear about the issue at previous daycare until a couple days ago. Today I have been trying to ignore the crying because its seems more of an attention seeking whine today and she stops after a short time when she gets no reaction. The dog isnt even near her when in th eplayroom but she can see him in the hallway or when she's in her highchair and he walks by to his dish she whines and he isnt even coming near her. Her last home daycare had 2 providers and 10 kids so I'm guessing that it may have been tough to get any attention. mom said the house was chaotic which is why she moved her.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidlove View Post
    I have dogs also, have never really had too much issue (lasted long) with a child being afraid, that IS always one of my questions apon meeting the family, I ask of allergies or fear of animals (we have alot of animals). if she is ok with dogs everywhere else I would wonder if its the size of him that bothers her, or maybe she was knocked down by a bigger dog, and she is associating that with your dog? I always have the kids who are a little leary of my dogs, come to them (with me) pet them and give them snacks, maybe show the child some tricks, but the most important thing is they learn to become comfortable with ALL members of our household including that animals, Def give her time to adjust, but worst case, she doesnt? its not worth the stress on you everyone else and mostly the dog. Even the smartest animal is still an animal, if a child makes them uncomfortable they could make a mistake (growl/bite?) you def dont want that. They MUST become friends! Good Luck

well, sounds like she just needs to get used to things around there and she will be fine, maybe it is just attention and not the dog at all. Kids are silly that way!