Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Sleeping with teething necklace on?

I had a new baby (14 months) start yesterday. She wears a teething necklace and her parents said she sleeps with it on. I took it off for her nap because I wasn't comfortable putting her to bed with it around her neck. Would you leave it on, or remove it for naps?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GymMom For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I wouldn't be comfortable leaving the necklace on her when she naps. I would be prone to checking on her constantly if she had it on. I like to err on the side of caution with these little ones.

Euphoric !
    I just enrolled a baby boy who wears one of those too. I left it on him last week but he was only here for one day and I'm going to ask his Mom about it this week. My 4 year old girly girl always has necklaces on her that we take off for naptime but they are hanging loose. The teething necklace on the baby fit properly but you're right, it still makes me nervous too.

I used them for both of my sons & have had 3 DCKs with them. If they are fit properly you shouldn't need to worry. I never took mine off my children, or the DCKs. Now you have me thinking
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Outgoing
    I had one for my son when he was an infant, I used to wrap it around his ankle, then put footed sleepers on him. Obviously kids aren't wearing sleepers at daycare, but you could have the parents bring in a pair of socks and try using that so the child doesn't play with it. I would just take it off though as you don't want to be held responsible if anything should happen, even with the parents okay to keep it on.

Euphoric !
    I have never heard of a teething necklace .... What is it?

No way at all would I put a child to bed with something around their neck!!! If parents want to do that and take the risk with their own child that's their decision. When kids are in my day home that means I am responsible for their care and well being and I choose to remove necklaces around their necks in the interest of their well being. I even take hair clips out of the hair of young toddlers if they still mouth things. That is way too risky for me and I am liable if something were to happen. I would not take the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugaboo View Post
    No way at all would I put a child to bed with something around their neck!!! If parents want to do that and take the risk with their own child that's their decision. When kids are in my day home that means I am responsible for their care and well being and I choose to remove necklaces around their necks in the interest of their well being. I even take hair clips out of the hair of young toddlers if they still mouth things. That is way too risky for me and I am liable if something were to happen. I would not take the chance.
    I'm with BugaBoo on this one - if anything happens, the fall out will be on my front porch so my vote is to take it off during naptimes.

Outgoing
    Crayola, a teething necklace is a necklace made of amber or hazelwood etc... and is supposed to alleviate the pain associated with teething. My sister in law bought one for my son, so I tried it out, but honestly don't think it did anything. On the other hand, some people swear by them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bookworm For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I don't allow those in my daycare. I don't allow jewlery of any kind on any kids, period. I don't want to be responsible for it being broken if another child grabs it, lost, and if it breaks I don't want another child grabbing it and putting it in their mouth.

I personally don't like those things, there is no control of how much their body is absorbing and I personaly don't think they work and are a money grab...but that's jmo.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/