Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this normal?

Outgoing

Is this normal?

I've had my daycare for approximately 6 months and it seems like someone is ALWAYS sick!! In July, I had two kids start. Within 2 weeks, we'd all gotten croup (including me), I had to close the daycare for one day, but one of my kids - who is suseptible to coughs - stayed home for 4 days. Then a few weeks later, one of the kids got pink eye and strep throat and was off sick for a week. Then about 2 weeks later I got sick. I didn't close the daycare but I told everyone I was super sick and they all chose not to come. Then 3 weeks ago, my son had a fever of 104 and I closed for one day. A week ago, I decided to close for half day this coming Friday because my husband is going for surgery and I need to drive him there and back. The surgery is only an hour. Then today, one of this kids came with pink eye and EVERYONE got it, including me and my husband. I'm not closing, but I notifed the families, and I'm assuming they will choose to keep their kids home. (One of the families is the one who was off for an entire week the first time we all got sick, and was the one with pink eye, so he seemes to be off A LOT and this is the family I'm worried about)

Is it normal for everyone to be sick so much? The family I mentioned above that I'm worried about has been really nice about the whole thing. The little boy can go to his nanny's if he needs to stay home, so it's not a problem for mom. But I worry that after a while she's going to get fed up. She's been through this whole daycare thing before with her older son, so I wonder if she realizes this is just normal for home daycares.

what do you think?

Yes, this is normal. I am constantly sanitizing and steam cleaning and yet what is going around out there, comes around in here. I know I have built a resistance to lots of bugs as I am now rarely affected (knock wood) Fortunately, I can keep my daycare kids seperate from my family and vice versa should anything be going around in either camp. I am always dumbfounded when something is going around like that croup, that most of the parents want to know who started it. I tell them everyone is going to start something at some point which they most likely picked up at the mall, so I am not going to waste my time issuing blame. (unless it is of course something like mumps or chicken pox etc.)

Euphoric !
    I always tell my parents when signing on (especially first time parents just coming off mat leave) that they should expect 6-8 illnesses in the first year as they are being exposed to different things and building up thier immune system. i have never gotten anything that has come into my daycare. I did get one cold ...just picked it up... no one else got it and i was never happier to see a friday in my life ...at the end of the day i walked upstairs and got into bed till sunday .... some kids are more sickly then others especially if the parent is alway santizing them and not allowing them to naturally build their immunities.....kids need to eat dirt.....JMO

The first few years or more....we all picked up whatever came into the house. Good News is: by about 5 years it seems you get "almost nothing". Our house hasn't even had the flu in 3 years. Thats pretty good for two kids in school and me being a provider of the seasonal sicknesses. Bad News? it seemed to take a "liitle While" to build our immunities