Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Changed my mind

Outgoing

Changed my mind

I just did an interview with a family for a 7 year old for after school care. I showed them around the house but I could tell that they had already decided to come before they got here. Within 10 minutes, she asked when we could start. I said, if we go with it, Monday. I mentioned policies and agreements and deposits and she was basically like "yeah, yeah". She mentioned to me on the phone that she's been through a few daycares and she said it was because they kept closing on her.
    I beg to differ. Her kid was so bad! He was bouncing a basketball in the house, even though he knew my baby was sleeping. He was throwing things, standing on chairs and at one point, even tried to go upstairs to "lie down, because my back hurts".

I changed my mind then and there. I know it would only be for 2 hours but there is no way I'm putting up with his bullshi**. I know kids often act out in front of their parents, and he doesn't know me from adam, but I'm afraid he'll be really aggressive with the kids and the toys.

How do I tell mom? She thinks she's starting on Monday, but I don't think I want him in my house. I know there's a possibility that he could be good with me and a brat with his mom, but I don't know if I want to risk it with so many little kids in my home.

Any suggestions on what to say? I will be doing it by email....

Euphoric !
    This is what I would write:

Dear ....... Thank you for taking the time to visit my home this evening. It was a pleasure to meet your family. Unfortunately, I cannot accomodate your family at this time since I don't feel your requirements fit in with my current business plan.

I wish you all the best in your search for a daycare provider who will meet your needs.

Sincerely,

Outgoing
    What Momof4 wrote is perfect!

Outgoing
    Thank you!! I just copied it word for word lol

I did this over the summer; took on 2 siblings aged 5 & 8. My instinct right away said "No way"... But I decided to just try it out...which lead to "oh they're only here a other couple of months"...go with your gut...I should have for sure!!!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

apples and bananas
    Go with your instincts. So many times I look back at the interview and think... I should have listened to the signs when I saw them. You're doing the right thing. Easier to get out now then to deal with terminating in a few weeks.

Just want to add...Remember the kid this summer who hit me in the face, and who I couldn't wait to get rid of? I ended up keeping them on for B/A care because he did an about face and is now the sweetest little guy you'd ever want to meet. This one was acting out because of the transition and because he was tired. I suggested a few things to his parents, and lo and behold, new kid.

Euphoric !
    Glad to hear alpha !

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    I suggested a few things to his parents, and lo and behold, new kid.
    The hard part is getting parents to LISTEN and take our advice. They think that they know it all and we're talking out our bums!.....right but we ONLY do this for a living <<eye roll>>
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

I would just call her/email her and say, it was so nice to meet her and her son however, something has come up and you will no longer be able to fill the spot...you will spread the word for them to other providers in the area. and thats that. I would NEVER take an older child unless all kids in care were older, too much dif dynamic to caring for that big of an age dif. older kids drive me bonkers, repectful or not.