Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    apples and bananas

Changing Hours Letter

I am changing my hours.

I currently have one family that comes part time before and after school. Some days as early as 6am. I just can't do it anymore, even the 2 or 3 days a week, it's just too early, it ruins the rest of my day. So, I want to send out a change of hours to all clients to let them know.

I'm having the worst time writing it and I'm wondering if anyone has done this and can copy and paste their memo/letter for me to use as a guide.

I have had this girl for over a year. It's going to be very hard to tell her parents, but I feel like by the time I hit first snack I need a nap. I've tried earlier bedtime (for myself). Just letting her in and going to shower (she's 8) to give me an extra 20 min of sleep inthe morn. I feel awful that I committed this time to her and now I feel like I need to change it in order to continue to function for the rest of the day.

I've been stressed lately! and I seem to go to the job search website whenever i get frustrated. I've come to the conclusion today that I like what I do, but I have to change hours. I'm letting the business run me right now and I have to run the business. I can either close down and let down 5 families, or I can change hours and maybe disapoint 1 client.

Anyways, long story short... I'm looking for a form letter to advise clients that my hours are changing. Looking forward to your feedback.

I have never changed my hours (7:30-5:30) so I don't have a form letter to offer you. If I may suggest you keep your notification short and sweet. Don't offer excuses or say you are too tired for your current hours as people turn a deaf ear to excuses. I would just say you are changing your hours of operation to operate a more time and cost effect program and that you apologize in advance for any inconvience your restructured program (or say hours) may cause. Or don't apologize at all if you don't want to as IT IS YOUR BUSINESS

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Good For You! nothing wrong with changing hours to better suit your Sanity!!!
    Don't really have any letter to send, but do have a little advice....give fair warning, and don't waiver,if someone asks to meet in the middle, don't cut yourself short, stick to your plan. i always post ANY changes on my front door in advance as well. That way you get no excuses for why they may have not realized. (it's posted in front of their face for at least a month before the change takes place) Good Luck!!!! Hope everyone understands your choices.

Euphoric !
    One thing to consider on the other side is that if the child can be let in and then you can go shower you will also have a bigger tax claim since your hours of operation for taking your percentage of use of home starts when the first child arrives. That extra half hour could make difference at the end of the year. On the other hand if those mornings make the rest of the day too stressful then the tax deduction isn't worth it.

I still do the 6:30 but now won't take anyone needing past 4:45 and that helps to start my evening earlier. Hubby leaves for to catch a 6:20 bus and makes sure I am up before he leaves so for me those early arrivals work but I know by 4 pm I am starting to clock watch and hoping some parents got to leave work early.

Outgoing
    I work 6 am till 5pm for two weeks of the month and 6:30 am till 5pm the other two weeks. It is tiring but at least it is only two weeks a month. In your notification, I would say this:

Dear Parent,
    Effective XXXXX, the operating hours of the daycare will be changing to XXXX. I appreciate your co-operation.
    Sincerely,
    Your Daycare Provider

Euphoric !
    I completely agree that you should write a business like letter without emotions or explanations. It's nothing personal, it's business and you make the rules so that you can survive the long days.

Euphoric !
    My biggest concern on giving a date of the change is that it involves a school age child. Unless this is a new arrangement that just isnt' working out the time to have made the change was summer so the mom had time to make new arrangements for the coming school year. In this case I would probably give her till Thanksgiving to find a new place but let her know as soon as she can is better and that 24 hours notice is all she needs to give when she has found someone.

apples and bananas
    I was going to give her until November 1st. I have another early one going to part time (mat leave) at that time so it would make sense to change my hours then.

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    One thing to consider on the other side is that if the child can be let in and then you can go shower you will also have a bigger tax claim since your hours of operation for taking your percentage of use of home starts when the first child arrives.
    . Oh wow, I thought the percentage of use of home was what percent of your home is used for daycare space. So, in my case, my first child arrives as early as 6:45 and the last pick up is as late as 6:15...that percentage should be 50% (12 hours of the day) as opposed of the 30% I was using before (area of home used). But actually, if I factor in weekends and holidays...confusing ?!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    The calculation is number of hours over 12 then number of days 5 over 7 x space used over total x total household expenses. Those percentages that accountants use only work for some businesses not one like ours. The higher some of those numbers are ex 12 over 24 vice 10 over 24 and amount of space used so the more of your house you use the better as compared to stuffing it all into a small area does get you a bigger deduction but it also comes at a cost of working longer days and having daycare mess everywhere.